Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaWelch View Post
Is your forum already working? I just check awhile ago and it is not working.
Hi Diana , his forum is online . Bill is the administrator .

http://www.tuberadioforum.com/

And mine is in french and just for old and antique tvs ( you can see it in my signature .
Old 07-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

Thanks for the heads up.
Bill
Old 08-10-2017, 01:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
I like old, antique and vintage things. Whenever I saw one of those things I would think how life was back then. It's like being transported back to when there is no internet and life is moving slowly.
I can see that I just picked up a mid century Hallicrafters S120 AA4 gen coverage radio for a vintage bedside radio,

I have it converted to a diode from selenium 1/2wave and new style electrolytics , RF/IF aligned and working now and some audio signal path caps to finish to take down some AA5 hum at the 50C5 control grid and maybe NOS RCA or GE tubes because I can and some othert film caps just because ,

my next inmate will be a 1937-1939 Zenith 8-12 tube big round black sweep dial pre war AM /SW and maybe a 1947 to 1954 or something Zenith Transoceanic H500 model AA5 tube radio for the vintage gear here but some of thwe higher 8+ tube count old pre war Zenith are a better AM/shortwave within it's coverage than any of these AA5 radios and most other consumer radio and some comm radio on AM since and they can hold thier own on AM with a modern spendy comm.SW /VHF radio today if it's set up well .

I just want the working or fixable old 1937-1939 Zenith hammertone copper finished chassis for a steampunk look and the working radio of course like I had in H.S. ,that pre war Zenith steampunk chassis was way cool SRSLY and worked better than my Hallicrafters and National comm radios on AM .back then

SRSLY that was the pinnacle of AM consumer radio then

The TV in here is a retina searing new 4K HDR 1000 + Samsung SUHD QDOT LCD and a similar but much tamer 2015 Sony Triluminos 4K HDR in the family cinema room and both have the requisite nice 5.1/7.1 AVR + speakers external audio systems .

I like some pre war or mid century vintage or steampunk but only specific vintage electronics like the old Zenith 1937-1939 radios a transoceanic H500 since the bombers are a fortune now and maybe a late 1940's early 50's AA5 RCA globetrotter and only for 1960's the Hallicrafters model below and like that but only a general coverage radio and only a couple of them .

I have SDR radio and SDR web radio for difficult coverages and trus`me these radios can't do all that 24/7 and sensitive like the right SDR or SDRweb radio .

click image to enlarge :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s_120.jpg (44.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-10-2017 at 02:00 AM. Reason: image
Old 08-10-2017, 03:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Your heart is true! I've collected and repaired/restored just about everything you mentioned. Finding a Hammerlund or Hallicrafters would be the "icing on the cake." They're my heirlooms and I love them more than just about everything else. Tubes chase away the darkness and warm cold winter nights!!!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Nostalgia.

For watching vintage recordings in the manner in which they were originally viewed.

Technological history.

Amusement.

A challenge to repair, followed by a great sense of accomplishment when resolving a difficult problem.

Training the mind to solve those aforementioned difficult problems.

And lots of other reasons.

My thoughts EXACTLY!!!!
I can and will embrace new tech when it comes along, but there's just something about older tech that seems more fascinating to me...
Audiokarma
Old 08-25-2017, 08:40 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaWelch
I found a really small TV set.
God bless you Diana!!!!
Old 08-27-2017, 07:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

more fun then ever! Star Trek "The Cage" was on a couple of weeks ago. I had the CTC9C on (exercise period)! It was warmed up and on came Star Trek. A very sarcastic friend was over (hates old TV's)!
Well, when they blew the top of the mountain off, he said, "I've never seen color like that! I told him, "That's every night at my house"!
Love em!
Original CRT! Looks like original flyback! A Latham! HEAVY and awkward!
Unbeliveable!
One day, a 21CTC2 Moto!
Old 06-30-2018, 11:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

So when I worked at the mom and pop tv sales and service I started at 15 and left at 26. The writing was on the wall back then even in 1985. About 3 or 4 years later that shop was gone and my bosses newly retired. The new owner was only able to run the business about 4 years and it disappeared. In those 10 years I learned a whole lot about the value of treating a customer with respect and standing behind your word when things went wrong. God now they just sue the pants off you in today's world. Life was indeed simpler then. It's funny when I now work on stuff I wish I had the body strength and hearing and eyesite of that 15 to 26 year old I used to be long ago. I was in a Target store today looking at all the flat screen HD and UHD tv's and the first thought that came to my mind was that none of these tv's would be working or be able to be repaired in 10 years. What landfill waste. It's just sad to me what America has lost. A whole industry that was based on fixing stuff that broke and keeping it running for as long as you could. So, every time I turn on an old tv and have to wait for the sound to come on and then the picture to show and sync up. I am like Bill Cahill and find that to be a thrill. New stuff does not reach me in any way shape or form. Yes, the pictures look amazing on new tv's. But what a cost to our throwaway society they have on our planet. As for me, I will try as long as I am able to watch tv on some sort of CRT based set. It's so satisfying to keep all this old analog stuff running. It's like a kid on Christmas morning lol.
Sony KV-1220U
Old 07-01-2018, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

Quote:
Yes. Here is the address.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cahill View Post
You just answered a question from July last year, from a person that probably hasn't been here since then.

Audiokarma
Old 07-02-2018, 10:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Nostalgia.

For watching vintage recordings in the manner in which they were originally viewed.

Technological history.

Amusement.

A challenge to repair, followed by a great sense of accomplishment when resolving a difficult problem.

Training the mind to solve those aforementioned difficult problems.

And lots of other reasons.

Well, I don't actually watch anything on my vintage sets since my 15GP22 went gassy
... before that, I actually watched NFL and MLB games on it.

But the other reasons are true.

Also ... I simply love complexity and lots of wires. Nothing turned me on
more that my last laser setup ... over 200 cables, four permanently on
Tektronix (analog ... better suited for purpose) scopes hanging down
above it on Lazy Susans, power supplies running on 480 volt power, etc.
And 12 kilowatts of chilled water to hold the temperate constant to +- 1 degree F.

An earlier experiment used liquid helium cooled preamps ... those are also a real turnon,
though you really really don't want to get hit by a blast of liquid helium!

When I was a sub-teen kid I was obsessed with the wiring of our console radio-phono,
a Motorola 107F31. This object is far too big for me to want one now.
FM tuner used a Loktal.

I also loved the two-chassis Philco TVs.

I love the Collins R390A radio for that reason.

In grad school I built an interface for a PDP8E that had 2000 wire wrapped
wires in it. Later I designed a mag tape controller for a computer (though
it was built by a technician.) This was fun!
Old 07-02-2018, 03:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

"Well, I don't actually watch anything on my vintage sets since my 15GP22 went gassy
... before that, I actually watched NFL and MLB games on it."

Just curious, Why wouldn't you enjoy the occasional use your vintage equipement? Wile I wouldn't "run them in to the ground" I feel part of owning them is to keep them working. As for the 15G situation if I understand it correctly it would have went gassy whether it was used or not. I would be happy that at least I got to enjoy it and see a picture on such a rare set. (I have never seen one in person)
Old 07-02-2018, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Something about playing an old game console or watching a VHS on an old TV just feels...right.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:24 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cahill
Thank you Billy,that site looks as good as this one is
Old 07-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
more fun then ever! Star Trek "The Cage" was on a couple of weeks ago. I had the CTC9C on (exercise period)! It was warmed up and on came Star Trek. A very sarcastic friend was over (hates old TV's)!
Well, when they blew the top of the mountain off, he said, "I've never seen color like that! I told him, "That's every night at my house"!
Love em!
Original CRT! Looks like original flyback! A Latham! HEAVY and awkward!
Unbeliveable!
One day, a 21CTC2 Moto!
Ha, no surprise as we tolerate modern non-CRT "color pictures". Do not expect a Motorola 'CT2 to look anything close to your RCA tho. Methinks they're rare for a reason. I just like the off-beat challenge of working on an unusual or unique design, so I would not kick a Motorola roundie off my bench.
Audiokarma