Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-30-2002, 11:43 PM
Banned

Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard!

I checked your link. You have two really fine vintage color RCA's there. That '66 CTC-20 is a real beauty, and the RCA sales card is a great touch! I've never seen that cabinet CTC16 before. Very nice. I have a restored CTC20 myself and several CTC-16s in various states of restoration at the moment. My atavar is a screen shot from my CTC-20 just after a by-the-book color circuit alignment, text added later with photoshop.

It is fun getting an old 40 year old color TV to crackle back to life, and then watch the old color shows on them!

Thanx for stopping by and sharing. Why don't you post your TV pictures here. It's really easy, but of course you'd know that, you have the same software!

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 06-30-2002 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:01 AM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Hi Rob (and all),

My wife is the computer genius. I'll have her post those shots here when I can.

My CTC-16 is a set I found on Ebay 2 years ago. The blond wood actually matches my living room, or I probably wouldn't have bid on it. (Glad I did though). The set cost me about 80 bucks to buy and about a million to ship! Ah well.

The Danish Modern set I found locally.

When I was a kid, we could only afford black & white so I used to hang around the department stores staring at the Color sets there, waiting for something to come on in color (a long wait in those days, lemme tell ya!)

Now I can have all the 21" sets I want! Something about that round screen really gives me that "Glimpse of joy" that C.S. Lewis wrote about. Since I'm not an electrician, I like to get sets that are in pretty darn nice shape.

The sets pictured on this thread are really amazing! I'm glad I found this place!

The software here is exactly like my Forum, but you have a couple of extra little Smilies.

Old 07-01-2002, 12:19 AM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Here is my CTC-16:
Old 07-01-2002, 12:20 AM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

...And my CTC-20; the last of the Roundies:
Old 07-01-2002, 12:33 AM
Banned

My CTC-20

Here's my 1966, CTC-20. It is the plain Jane cabinet, not nearly as fine as Steve's. It has a 21FJP22 that had really bad cataracts when I got the set but as you can see from my avatar, the tube was great electronically. I was able to delaminate clean and re-attach the curved safety glass successfully last summer out in the warm sun. That was a scary job. It was worth trying since I cannot find NOS of these CRT's anywhere.

Rob
Audiokarma
Old 07-01-2002, 12:35 AM
Banned

Here is my CTC-20 before I started the restoration.

Rob
Old 07-01-2002, 12:57 AM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Wow, good job, Rob! Can't believe you were able to delaminate and reattach the safety glass like that.

I can remember being able to walk to the local TV store (not THAT long ago, maybe 1980) and see tons of CTC-20's and older sets piled up and waiting for the junk man.

Sigh.

By the way Rob, your '62 GE set is truly neat!

Last edited by Steve Hoffman; 07-01-2002 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:27 AM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Not sure what the policy is here regarding Ebay, but there are a couple of nice 21"'s up for auction right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1363150544

Being sold by Klatuu, a 21" collector from LA. Nice guy, too.

And this blondie:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2115610919

Don't know the seller, but it's a nice set!
Old 07-01-2002, 10:01 AM
Banned

Steve,

Adding links to ebay auctions you think would be of interest to readers of this forum, even your own auctions is fine.

I saw those ebay TV-s for sale. Klattu will be putting more vintage color sets on ebay down the road.

Thanx for your compliments about my '62 GE.

Yes, it is a shame now for those that are collecting that so many of these were sent to landfill sites, and NIB picture tubes also. Blame the bean counters for that one. It related to the costs and efficient use of commercial storage space. I guess if these were still as abundant though, nobody'd be collecting them. It is only after something has disappeared from the mainstream for a good number of years that the nostalgia aspect creeps in and something from our past becomes 'collectible'. One thing is for sure, these round screen color sets, as hard as they are to dig up now, are more plentiful today than they will be down the not so long road... so good luck hunting.

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 07-01-2002 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:48 AM
klatuu

Cool

Wow, this Discussion Forum was forwarded to me by a fellow Vintage Color TV aficionado, & I also discovered that another friend/collector was posting here too. Small cyber space!

Anyway, I became fascinated by the 21" round-tube sets in the mid-60's when I stayed with my Aunt & Uncle for a week when I was in High School. They'd just bought a contemporary round-tubed Zenith console & I found myself glued to it. Years later, it occured to me that I'd like to own one of those sets, & the search was on. I even found an old Zenith model that looks very much like the one my Aunt & Uncle had. Attached is a pic of it, as well as other pics (in subseqent posts) of the other vintage sets I've collected. The first one I ever found, a 1961 RCA New Vista Color tabletop model w/metal cabinet, is now up for auction on eBay.

Thanks for forwarding me the URL to this site, Steve. Hi Rob!

Jon
Audiokarma
Old 07-02-2002, 01:55 AM
klatuu

Here's a pic of the 1st vintage round-tube 21" set I ever bought, a 1962 RCA New Vista Color with High Fidelity Picture Tube. Still in very good shape & in working condition. It's now up for auction on eBay.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:01 AM
klatuu

Here's a one I never thought I'd find - a Danish Modern RCA "Entertainment Center" with stereo AM/FM radio & turntable. Set worked (picture was beautiful) when I first got it, but it died a short time later. I think the move from Pomona CA to Silverlake killed it!
Old 07-02-2002, 02:05 AM
klatuu

This is a mid-60s RCA colonial style consolette - the 2nd 21" round-tube set I found in the Recycler, & the one that works the best. The picture on this set was described as "snappy" by a color tv expert! <G>
Old 07-02-2002, 02:07 AM
klatuu

Here's a screen shot taken off the colonial RCA.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:10 AM
klatuu

Another great screen shot off the colonial RCA...
Audiokarma