Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

KD 34XBR2 Reactivate

I have two Sony KD-34XBR2 CRT HD’s I got free for hauling them away. The first one works perfect, but the second starts up with no flashing codes, but will display only static SD images off a DVD. Once any scene change or any movement occurs it immediately does a power shut down. I can restore operation by unplugging it for at least 5 minutes and plug it back in. Degauss sound is heard and the screen reappears and stays as long as the scene remains static. The screen is perfect SD except it has severe horizontal pincushion both sides and horizontal over-scan that forses the green status notes off screen. The Sony OEM Service manual describes a Service Mode activate sequence that is impossible to interpret! So I have no way to correct the pincushion distortion or horizontal over-scan from the remote. I checked the pincushion correction wires going to the conversion yoke, no horz or vert waveforms present. I solved this 34XBR2’s nonstatic video shutdown problem by selectively jumpering the “D” board’s AC input relay RY6501 terminals with a spst toggle switch on a 3 foot zip cord cable. The switch is necessary since a permanent jumper prevented the 34XBR2 from completing its startup and turn off sequence. This second 34XBR2 is now capable of displaying any SD DVD and HD BRD video from my Sony BDP-360 Blue Ray player. The hatchet arrangement is temporary until I solve the real problem and get into the service codes to “calibrate” the HDTV’s picture quality. So the two freebie 34XBR2s with sr#8009599, March 2002 and sr#8010558, April 2002 production dates are now operational. The Service Manual is dated June 15, 2001, does this make the KD 34XBR2 Sony’s first 16:9 wide screen High Definition CTV? Were there earlier =>34 inch wide-screen production HD receivers by other manufactures? If so who made them under what model names? Are there any earlier operational survivors and where are they now? Is there an “Early HDTV Museum” and where might it be located?…….Tom

Last edited by Tomcomm; 07-28-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:10 PM.