Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-23-2022, 01:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by probnot View Post
Hmm that sounds shorted. On the diode setting, the two ~(AC) pins should measure open (both directions).

For the DC side (+ and -) you should see close to 1.0v but only in one direction.
That's what I thought. There's a number on the bridge rectifier, I think I might have something in my parts stash that might work, (I had found a couple of baskets at the local SA a couple of years ago that were full of NOS TV and VCR parts like IC chips, capacitors, resistors, diodes, fuses, rectifiers, rectifier bridges etc. that came from a local appliance store that went out of business.)
Old 03-01-2022, 10:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Bridge Rectifier in my VCR that was bad is a S1WB S40 Rectifier Bridge, at least that's the numbers on the top of the rectifier bridge which when I look that number up on google, nothing shows up...

See picture below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GE (Panasonic) VCR Bridge Rectifier.jpg (40.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-01-2022, 12:03 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

40 71 could be just a date code for 40th week of 1971, if that fits the date of manufacture of the VCR.
Edit: although that seems very early.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
40 71 could be just a date code for 40th week of 1971, if that fits the date of manufacture of the VCR.
Edit: although that seems very early.
That seems a bit too early for a date code, unless Panasonic was using up old parts when making their VCRs, because this VCR is from 1987...
Old 03-01-2022, 03:19 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
That seems a bit too early for a date code, unless Panasonic was using up old parts when making their VCRs, because this VCR is from 1987...
Yeah, on second thought, not likely.
Audiokarma
Old 03-01-2022, 04:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
If it follows the numbering scheme used on this example, the last two digits are a date code (perhaps the first month of 1987 ?)

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/3...BA-1202965.pdf

Perhaps the 40 indicates 400 volt?

just a WAG,
jr
Old 03-01-2022, 05:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
If it follows the numbering scheme used on this example, the last two digits are a date code (perhaps the first month of 1987 ?)

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/3...BA-1202965.pdf

Perhaps the 40 indicates 400 volt?

just a WAG,
jr
Well I ordered some diodes from mouser that had similar specs to the original rectifier bridge (which I did find a spec sheet for an S40 type S1WB rectifier bridge), so we'll see what happens when it gets here, I had also replaced one of the main filter caps (the 4.7 uF 200 VDC filter cap) that tested bad (had extremely high ESR value of 15k ohms.)
Old 03-03-2022, 04:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

UPDATE: Replaced the bridge rectifier and the VCR is still blowing fuses, so I wonder if maybe the Q1 is bad in the power supply board (the transistor on the heatsink.) when I did the diode test it seemed like it checked fine, but maybe I wasn't doing the check correctly.

What would the correct replacement for that transistor be? I looked up that transistor (it was a Panasonic part number) and it didn't seem to cross-reference to anything currently being made (no NTE parts or anything.)
Old 03-03-2022, 10:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

If its anything like my unit, the heatsink transistor was bad after the fuse kept blowing. my mistake was not using a dim bulb tester the first time around, so I had to buy the replacement transistor TWICE. Luckily there was some NOS on ebay.
Yours has no C or B value on it?
Old 03-03-2022, 10:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbond View Post
If its anything like my unit, the heatsink transistor was bad after the fuse kept blowing. my mistake was not using a dim bulb tester the first time around, so I had to buy the replacement transistor TWICE. Luckily there was some NOS on ebay.
Yours has no C or B value on it?
I'm guessing you're right that that heat sunk transistor is bad on my VCR, it did have a code on it, but I can't remember what it was now, and I made the mistake of putting the power supply back into the VCR.

I'll take a look in the morning.
Audiokarma
Old 03-16-2022, 01:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello. That looks like a rebadged Panasonic PV-4750. The 4760 is the hi-fi stereo version. Be sure to check the electrolytic caps in the power supply before using the machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 8.16.25 PM.jpg (25.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-16-2022, 01:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

If this is the power supply your machine has, I can post the full schematic if you need it.

Fivos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 8.17.58 PM.jpg (122.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-16-2022, 08:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfivos View Post
If this is the power supply your machine has, I can post the full schematic if you need it.

Fivos
yep that's it right there, I still need to check the switching transistor in the power supply (Q1) because this power supply only has 2 transistors in it overall and the one of them is the Switching Transistor (the transistor attached to the heatsink) that's the only part I haven't changed yet that I suspect might be still causing the VCR to blow fuses.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
yep that's it right there, I still need to check the switching transistor in the power supply (Q1) because this power supply only has 2 transistors in it overall and the one of them is the Switching Transistor (the transistor attached to the heatsink) that's the only part I haven't changed yet that I suspect might be still causing the VCR to blow fuses.
Did you disconnect Q1 from the circuit and measure it? Are the zener diodes OK?
Old 03-17-2022, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfivos View Post
Did you disconnect Q1 from the circuit and measure it? Are the zener diodes OK?
Yes, all the diodes checked fine yet. The only diodes that checked bad was the bridge rectifier, which I already changed that out for a modern replacement the switching transistor I have not had a chance to check yet, the way they did the power supply in this VCR is that you have to disconnect a ribbon cable that's connected in a strange manner and then undo 2 solder blobs holding it to the main circuit board and then bend a retaining tab and then gently remove it from the main board without cracking the main board.
Audiokarma