Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #136  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:20 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,560
I know of some very nice folks who somehow remain loyal to GM despite having owned a Trailblazer with a failing straight 6. I can't remember just now what fails on them but those vehicles had been pampered.
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:50 PM
dishdude's Avatar
dishdude dishdude is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 519
I've had good luck with GM, I'd buy another without giving it a second thought.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 05-11-2018, 11:51 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 9,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I know of some very nice folks who somehow remain loyal to GM despite having owned a Trailblazer with a failing straight 6. I can't remember just now what fails on them but those vehicles had been pampered.
Strange...My Envoy (GMC badged trailblazer) had about everything lousy except the engine, trans and airconditioning, and the previous owners CLEARLY treated it and repaired it like crap...
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 05-12-2018, 12:03 AM
MadMan's Avatar
MadMan MadMan is offline
'A Disgusting Brony'
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I know of some very nice folks who somehow remain loyal to GM despite having owned a Trailblazer with a failing straight 6. I can't remember just now what fails on them but those vehicles had been pampered.
That's unfortunate. I've rarely seen any problems with those weird straight sixes (barring the occasional hoopdie). It's usually literally everything else on those cars, besides the engine itself. Maybe it's just something simple, like the ignition coils, or something. I've changed so many of those. (It's just popping in my head that it might be a dirty throttle plate. Like most electronic throttle cars, it's SUPER sensitive to that.)

And then hummer wanted to use the straight six in the h3 (I think?) but it was too big for them (too big for a hummer? lol) so they chopped off one cylinder. lol

The Trailblazer straight six is a helluva lot better than that 4.3 v6 vortec piece of ass. God I hate those so much.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 05-12-2018, 12:50 AM
mgross0 mgross0 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 62
I hate GM with a burning passion, but their engines are usually ok. It's the rest of the package that kills them. DexCool antifreeze that turn into concrete, plastic timing belt idlers that don't like engine heat, transmissions that puke their guts out, and electrical systems that make Lucas look good. Do you know why they used to say "this isn't your fathers Oldsmobile"? Because it wasn't on fire.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #141  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:39 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
That's unfortunate. I've rarely seen any problems with those weird straight sixes (barring the occasional hoopdie). It's usually literally everything else on those cars, besides the engine itself. Maybe it's just something simple, like the ignition coils, or something. I've changed so many of those. (It's just popping in my head that it might be a dirty throttle plate. Like most electronic throttle cars, it's SUPER sensitive to that.)

And then hummer wanted to use the straight six in the h3 (I think?) but it was too big for them (too big for a hummer? lol) so they chopped off one cylinder. lol

The Trailblazer straight six is a helluva lot better than that 4.3 v6 vortec piece of ass. God I hate those so much.
I thought the Hummer had a Diesel engine. Maybe, just the real big ones do.
Another one not on my list of wants.
Seeing as I don't follow GM at all, but I never knew Chevy built an inline six that late.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:32 PM
MadMan's Avatar
MadMan MadMan is offline
'A Disgusting Brony'
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I thought the Hummer had a Diesel engine. Maybe, just the real big ones do.
Another one not on my list of wants.
Seeing as I don't follow GM at all, but I never knew Chevy built an inline six that late.
It was certainly strange. idk what possessed them to do such a thing. iirc, they borrowed a lot from their Opel division for that motor, but I don't think the actual motor is from them, because it's a big hulking mass that's really only suited for an suv. Anyone familiar with contemporary GMs will know that the straight six is an oddball. It's just... different from GM's usual fare.

The actual HMMV hummer has a diesel. The H2 is a giant box on top of a Chevy Tahoe frame, and the H3 is a pansy excuse for an suv with a straight 5 gas engine.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 05-12-2018, 10:16 PM
mr_rye89's Avatar
mr_rye89 mr_rye89 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 76
Huh. I thought the 43 vortecs where alright.

I've got a c3500 box truck at work with a 454 vortec with over 200k on the clock and I can't seem to kill it, the power steering pump is on its way out though....
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 05-12-2018, 10:16 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,560
Ok, I had to research the Trailblazer engine problem-turns out it was limited to some '02 models and had to do with failing cylinder sleeves. I was thinking it was an ongoing problem but apparently they nipped it in the bud. I had one friend who had bought a used TB from his uncle, a used car dealer, and a year later the engine had to be rebuilt at the GM dealer. Not many miles on it as I recall. Shortly thereafter a pastor I know, who couldn't afford to have any problems, mentioned he was having engine trouble with his TB. I was saddened to here it because I'm such a fan of straight sixes. An advantage of that series of engines was that they could share parts with a 4 & 5 cylinder as used in the Colorado/Canyon/H3.
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 05-13-2018, 09:03 PM
MadMan's Avatar
MadMan MadMan is offline
'A Disgusting Brony'
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
Huh. I thought the 43 vortecs where alright.

I've got a c3500 box truck at work with a 454 vortec with over 200k on the clock and I can't seem to kill it, the power steering pump is on its way out though....
Well, the 454 is completely different. And to be fair the actual 4.3 motor is ok. The older ones were certainly decent. But the ones with spider injection are just crap. I've never seen one running right, they always have some kind of problem. You can throw everything you have at one, and it just won't be right.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #146  
Old 07-02-2018, 01:04 AM
mgross0 mgross0 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 62
Some vehicles just seem to be hexed. No matter how well they are cared for, or how much money you spend on them, they are never right. That being said, Mopar or no car. If you GM fans are ever in Arizona and need a tow, my Chrysler is always ready to pull your ass out of trouble.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 07-02-2018, 01:53 PM
Titan1a Titan1a is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Plattsmouth, NE 68048
Posts: 450
The only American cars I like are old Chrysler's. My first GM had factory rust, poor fit and finish, bad brake disks and a poor carburetor. My Dad bought an Olds with a V8 with a THM 200 transmission. I bought a used Buick with bad truck rot. I had a Ford with the 3.8 V6 blow an exhaust head gasket. My first Plymouth was a 318 with a torqueflite tranny. Nothing could kill that car! I got 20MPG. NO MORE AMERICAN JUNQUE!!!
__________________
Rick (Sparks) Ethridge
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 07-03-2018, 12:43 AM
MadMan's Avatar
MadMan MadMan is offline
'A Disgusting Brony'
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
My Dad bought an Olds with a V8 with a THM 200 transmission.
lol I like how with the other cars, you state the problem, but with this one it's simply implied. The 200 transmission was a turd. I've rebuilt a couple, probably my last as you don't see them anymore. The only real good thing about the 200 is that it's so tiny that it's a cake walk to R&R one of them.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 07-11-2018, 10:42 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgross0 View Post
Some vehicles just seem to be hexed. No matter how well they are cared for, or how much money you spend on them, they are never right. That being said, Mopar or no car. If you GM fans are ever in Arizona and need a tow, my Chrysler is always ready to pull your ass out of trouble.
Someone, on this website or another mentioned that you seldom see a Toyota on a flatbed or a tow truck.
That's a rather broad statement, as I see all makes of cars being pulled.
In 54 years of owning a car, I only had to be towed 3 times and one was the only GM car I ever owned.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 07-11-2018, 07:00 PM
davet753's Avatar
davet753 davet753 is offline
David Thomas
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 390
I always thought it was kind of funny how people have such strong opinions on car brands. I have always leaned heavily towards Lincoln and Ford, because I have had good luck with them and never any big problems. On the other hand, I wouldn't buy GM because of having bad luck with 2 different Cadillac's, but I did have a Buick that was a good car. My dad had a Dodge truck that was great, but one of my employees has a 4 year old Chrysler 200 that is a complete piece of trash. In the end, you can get a lemon with any brand (even though certain manufacturers seem to have more than their fair share of lemons).

As an old friend of mine who was in the used car business all his life always said "It doesn't matter if its a house or a car....things are gonna tear up and you're gonna have to spend money on it".
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.