Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:02 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Weird Mitsu DLP problem

I have a Mitsubishi WD52525 DLP set that's developed a couple of weird problems.

Problem #1: Periodically functions such as volume, etc. will "freeze"..IE you'll be unable to change the volume from about 25-30%. Can't change sources, etc. either. Don't think it's the remote...since the volume adjust on the front panel won't work when this happens, either. Only way to solve it is to get out the bent paperclip & do a reset.

Problem #2: The set will just shut down. Doing a reset will allow you to turn the set on again.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to these events...and they seem to be happening more often.

My first thought is a weakening cap somewhere inside...power supply? I'm not very excited about disassembling this beast...but that may be the only solution. I plan on running the situation past Mitsu customer service when I get a chance to see if they have any ideas.

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Old 07-06-2013, 02:01 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Probably needs a new main board, good luck with that. I just went through a war with Mitsu to get my light engine and DLP chip replaced, took 4 months from start to finish...
Old 07-06-2013, 02:34 PM
"Book em Dano!"

I vote main board also. Those sets are not that hard to disassemble if it's the newer style like Nicks
Old 07-06-2013, 05:50 PM

It's easy to take apart, the trouble is getting the parts to begin with. Unfortunately these sets have a high failure rate, and Mitsu themselves are looking at not supporting them anymore. I called them several months ago and they say parts are still in stock, so you have to go to an authorized Mitsu service place to get the work done.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:47 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Crapola. I did find a main board on the 'bay for less than $100...but, if that's NOT the problem I'm out about a hunski. Wonder if it's just some electrolytic failing or something more sinister?

MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Audiokarma
Old 07-13-2013, 07:12 PM

I didn't find any bad caps anywhere on my set, the service place I took mine to said the DMD board went out and took the mainboard with it. So after a new DMD, new DLP chip, main chassis and $600 I finally got it back. FYI if you do the main board, there's a procedure for downloading the settings you must do before the set will work correctly. Apparently the board talk to each other, and the settings have to agree between them or funny things happen. It's a simple matter of inputting a code, then doing a factory reset. All is well with my set now, back to 65 inches of glory!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:03 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Update:
Threw in the towel on the Mitsu..just couldn't risk $100 on a possible non-fix. My son found a 50" Sharp Aquos on clearance for $499...added 4 year service contract.

Nice set...but miss that fine Mitsu picture.

MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Old 10-03-2013, 02:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like you've already reached a solution, but for the record these sets have notoriously bad DMs (Digital Modules). The DM is a seperate computer module (off to the far left, looking at the rear of the set) that's basically full of dry electrolytic capacitors. These sets commonly exhibit this type of problem, as well as the dreaded 'blinking led' symptom where the set will shut down with a steadily blinking power led. The DM is tough to work on as it's assembled in layers and the circuit board is multilayered itself which makes solder removal difficult.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:57 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarTV View Post
Sounds like you've already reached a solution, but for the record these sets have notoriously bad DMs (Digital Modules). The DM is a seperate computer module (off to the far left, looking at the rear of the set) that's basically full of dry electrolytic capacitors. These sets commonly exhibit this type of problem, as well as the dreaded 'blinking led' symptom where the set will shut down with a steadily blinking power led. The DM is tough to work on as it's assembled in layers and the circuit board is multilayered itself which makes solder removal difficult.
Then I'm glad I didn't decide to dig into the thing

Did salvage the very nice 4-4 1/2" 2-way speakers from the set...gonna use them in a pair of small cube speakers I built a long time ago. Should sound quite nice.

MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Old 12-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Banned

Throw it to the shithouse like a lot of chinese crap,its not worth repairing.
Audiokarma
Old 12-26-2013, 02:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mitsubishi is Japanese, not Chinese. I know, it's hard to tell them apart. Zing!