Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Philco 51-532 family heirloom accident. :(

Talk about a strange twist of fate; read this. I have on display now (or had) my grandmother's Philco 51-532 A.M Transitone. While taking down for a play period for cap conditioning it fell. It literally cracked in two pieces along with some splintered Bakelite. My grandma is 97 years old and there is no way I can tell her what happened. Not sure what to do except search the Earth for a case.

The twist of fate is that due to a need for a darned knob for another Philco that I have that uses the same knob (different model) I bought a basket case 532 for almost nothing on Ebay. It was advertised as having a badly cracked case, but all I needed was the knob and thought that having an extra chassis and other parts would make it all worth it; and it was.

So Nanny's radio falls today and breaks the case. I have an extra radio with a bad case. Her radio was nice; real nice, so there is no piecing it together. If anyone here has a spare case sitting around PLEASE let me know. I'm in a real pickle on this one!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Philco 51-532.jpg (8.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 10-02-2015, 05:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry to hear! Probably easier to find a chassis than a case. But make an auto notification on ebay for it, who knows what you'll find.

I think that's a plastic case unless it's painted Bakelite. Bakelite is usually dark brown.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, I agree that there are more spare chassis floating around than cases. I tell ya, looking on Ebay can be quite confusing. There are several on there; I think 3. Two are at least $100 and bringing it. At least one went at auction for that. The other is a "buy it now" so who knows if that will even sell. The third, now get this; it's more what I would expect to see. A reasonable price for a 60+ year old working Bakelite, AM only Bakelite radio and it's the best looking and described of them all. Ebay is weird like that. Like all these people are waiting to do the last second jump on a single item, but they fail to see another almost completely.

As far as this particular radio goes; I always thought of it as a pretty plain old radio. Nothing special & certainly not $100 worth of special. I guess there is someone out there looking for nearly anything you can muster up and will pay good money for it. From a selling standpoint, that's a good thing. But there are a lot of charlatans there for sure doing the "untested from an estate sale" thing. I can't begin to count the number of times I have read that. Those few little words are an easy out for dishonest selling. The good side is that there are a few great, I mean great people on there selling really nice radios, often completely restored for what I consider to be less than they are worth considering the expense of restoration and the time. As a tech I look at my time as money, so I look at others the same way. Real world shipping fees and great packing jobs too! It's refreshing to see someone doing it more for the love of vintage equipment than just a quick buck.