Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

"Pilot Radio" magnifier decal repro?

Does anyone know if the delicate black outlined gold "PILOT RADIO" decal for the optional deluxe magnifier for TV-37 has ever been reproduced? I see that many are worn/faded
Old 10-10-2017, 09:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Same here. I stabilized mine with some clear lacquer for now but a repro would be great.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:32 PM
The Resident Brony

Can you safely remove the screws and the glass? If you did, wouldn't it be flat enough to put on a flatbed scanner? I mean, you could use a photograph to reproduce it, but I think scanning it would be more accurate to size and shape.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

It is one big molded bubble piece on the front with the flanges and decal on the edge and a flat surface and flange glued to the back side. The filler port is below on the front half. No scanning here.

The way it mounts is with some upper rear clips that hang on the horizontal louvers and a lower bumper post which explains all the broken louvers. It is heavy. Now back to our topic.

Last edited by Dave A; 10-10-2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: text
Old 10-11-2017, 04:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

I see on this website, http://www.vintageradiolabels.com/custom-decals.html ,
that number 11 would look okay in gold, but you really need the black outline to make it stand-out on the bronze/gold background. It's such a great free-form design that it really needs to be repro'd correctly. I wonder if anyone would take on the job. I know I would pay fairly for one.
Audiokarma
Old 10-11-2017, 11:24 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
It's such a great free-form design that it really needs to be repro'd correctly. I wonder if anyone would take on the job. I know I would pay fairly for one.
Eh.......... I almost want to photoshop it for you, cuz I want to say that it wouldn't be that hard, but like most things, I'm sure it'll end up being a nightmare. Why don't you contact that dude and ask for a quote on a custom designed thingy?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

I can recommend Solidesign for creating a custom decal:

http://www.solidesign.bizland.com/decals.html

They made decals for my RCA CT-100 TV and other sets. Great work, reasonable prices.

I’d take a good close-up photo of the decal that you need, with a ruler by the decal to show the size, if possible. Email that to Scott and ask for a quote. He can clean up the image as needed and print you a whole sheet of decals. You’ll end up with extras, which you can donate to ETF or sell to fellow collectors to recoup your cost.

Phil Nelson
Phil’s Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 10-12-2017, 04:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
I can recommend Solidesign for creating a custom decal:

http://www.solidesign.bizland.com/decals.html

They made decals for my RCA CT-100 TV and other sets. Great work, reasonable prices.

I’d take a good close-up photo of the decal that you need, with a ruler by the decal to show the size, if possible. Email that to Scott and ask for a quote. He can clean up the image as needed and print you a whole sheet of decals. You’ll end up with extras, which you can donate to ETF or sell to fellow collectors to recoup your cost.

Phil Nelson
Phil’s Old Radios
Thank you Phil and everyone that responded. That pic from the Net is the only one I could find. My decal is nothing more than a ghost imagine, having long faded away. Maybe between the pic and general dimensions a repro could be made.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

The hardest part of making decals is the art work. The better the scan the easier it is to clean up and get the correct colors or metallics reproduced. I use an ALPS printer for making them.
I just looked at my magnifier and the label is gone, Phil if you can send me a high resolution picture I'll see what I can do and give them to anyone that needs a replacement.

Chuck

Learn from the mistakes of others -
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
The hardest part of making decals is the art work. The better the scan the easier it is to clean up and get the correct colors or metallics reproduced. I use an ALPS printer for making them.
I just looked at my magnifier and the label is gone, Phil if you can send me a high resolution picture I'll see what I can do and give them to anyone that needs a replacement.

Chuck
That's very nice of you Chuck, but I would be glad to pay your for efforts and I'm sure the many others with the lens would too. I sure hope Phil can get that picture sent to you!

Last edited by decojoe67; 10-21-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-20-2017, 11:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry, my magnifier has no trace of any decal. The TV came with drawings for building that little magnifier stand with legs, so I assumed it was sort of a homebrew product.

My TV-37 article has another photo that someone sent me, showing a factory Pilot magnifier with a worn decal. I believe it's the same photo that decoejoe67 posted.

If you go to this link, you'll find a photo showing a more intact magnifier decal:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...o-3-television

Perhaps that image would be enough to work with, if someone could measure a worn decal for width and height.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
Old 10-21-2017, 07:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
Sorry, my magnifier has no trace of any decal. The TV came with drawings for building that little magnifier stand with legs, so I assumed it was sort of a homebrew product.

My TV-37 article has another photo that someone sent me, showing a factory Pilot magnifier with a worn decal. I believe it's the same photo that decoejoe67 posted.

If you go to this link, you'll find a photo showing a more intact magnifier decal:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...o-3-television

Perhaps that image would be enough to work with, if someone could measure a worn decal for width and height.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
Excellent Phil. I sure hope you can work with the photo and actual dimensions to create something passable Chuck. The font is totally free-form as typical with Pilot Radio's style. Gold with a thin black lined border to make it stand-out against the gold trim of the lens. The first time I saw the decal I thought someone did it with a small paint-brush!
If you're successful, consider one sold already! Many thanks, Joe.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Banned

Ok I hate to jump this post but does anyone have a Pilot TV-37 magnifier to sell?
Old 10-21-2017, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtvsandtoy View Post
Ok I hate to jump this post but does anyone have a Pilot TV-37 magnifier to sell?
It's okay, but I wanted to say that you're likely going to have buy one with the TV-37 to get one. There's two factory models. The best is the one pictured above with the decal, and one that has a narrower flange and no decal. Then there's a few aftermarket. I've seen two rectangle models, and one octagon. I have not seen any of them come-up for sale separately at any price for many years. They're all fairly scarce.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtvsandtoy View Post
It's okay, but I wanted to say that you're likely going to have buy one with the TV-37 to get one as I did. There's two factory models. The best is the one pictured above with the decal, and one that has a narrower flange and no decal. Then there's a few aftermarket. I've seen two rectangle models, and one octagon. I have not seen any of them come for sale separately at any price for many years. They're all fairly scarce.
Audiokarma