Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:49 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I'm getting a Sencore CR70

I'll be paying $100 to a close TV friend for his complete, and very clean Sencore CR70 tomorrow. I've been researching the CR70, and I know it's a pre 1987 model, because it has the number 8 roundie socket, and it also has the universal adapter. I watched several videos about the CR70, and I think it will probably take the place of my B&K 470, that is if I like it. Coming from a B&K background, I'm sure it will take some getting used to. Is there anything I should know before I start fooling with it?
Old 02-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

It was a bit of a learning curve for me, but I had never used a CRT tester before. I recall that I forgot to set cutoff before testing emissions; no harm done, but an incorrect reading of course. I don't know what Manual Restore 2 does and I wouldn't try it right now. Apparently it's only explained in the user's manual and is only to be used if rejuvenation fails, so I reckon it's pretty powerful.

Pre-1987, are you sure? Mine came with the 1989 setup book and has the number 8 socket, not to mention the discs at the base of some of the knobs, which I have since removed because they obstructed my view of the numbers. I have an earlier parts unit as well, it powers up but it seems there's no current getting to the CRT. It came with an early edition of the setup book and no roundie socket.

Every rectangular delta tube I've tested uses socket 2 and the same settings. I'm pretty sure I've memorized them correctly.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:39 PM
TheUniversalDave1

To this day, I have not been in the presence of a CR70, so I don't really know what to expect. I have not even seen a picture of this one. The guy I'm getting from is very trustworthy, and I have no problem believing what he says about it is true. I'll add pictures tomorrow. I'll be at the SARS swap meet tomorrow, with pictures of that too.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

No kidding? It does seem to be the gold standard among us. There is the CR7000 that has a lot more bells and whistles, but as James Doohan once said "The more they overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain".
Old 02-17-2017, 09:11 PM
M is for Memory

I've seen a friend's CR-70 revive a stone dead 16GP4 to weak, but usable...The CR-70 is on my to get list...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-18-2017, 04:23 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I got the CR70, (among lots of other things) and it's definitely not minty fresh like I thought. I did not get a manual, only a setup book. If somebody would send me a setup book, that would be fantabulous. I tested it on a 25XP22, and it does work, but it takes some getting used to.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:27 AM
Workin' Late Again

I have a nice looking CR70 that I'd consider selling. To me they seem overly complex for the intended purpose, and if you ever look inside one you'll see why. From what I hear the Beltron does an equal if not better job on restore, and with a very minimal amount of circuitry.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:58 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I suppose it depends on one's preferred level of simplicity. Here's a photo of the inside of my parts unit.

This is as complex as I care to see. I wouldn't want to see inside a CR7000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sencore CR70 inside.jpg (132.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:32 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
I have a nice looking CR70 that I'd consider selling. To me they seem overly complex for the intended purpose, and if you ever look inside one you'll see why. From what I hear the Beltron does an equal if not better job on restore, and with a very minimal amount of circuitry.
How much is it? I'm just about to use this one as a parts set. The instrument itself isn't too bad, but the plastic case is horribly beat up.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:21 PM
M is for Memory

IMHO service gear is better to have in beat up, but working shape. I take my CRT tester to most swap meets and places where I anticipate finding vintage TVs...It gets beat to heck riding in the car and being dragged everywhere, and I'm glad it did not come to me prefect as I don't ever feel bad adding wear.

Perfect gear is like finding a good LP still in the shrink wrap...You end up torn on whether to enjoy it as it was meant to be or keep it perfect.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-19-2017, 05:47 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I cleaned the CR70 as much as I could, and it actually cleaned up well. I went to Lowe's to try to find plastic feet for the bottom, and nobody had any idea what I was talking about. I tested it out, and aside from the fact that you have to change the settings for each color, I like it a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170219_174315.jpg (72.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170219_174303.jpg (60.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-19-2017, 09:25 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Lookin' good. How many feet are missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
IMHO service gear is better to have in beat up, but working shape. I take my CRT tester to most swap meets and places where I anticipate finding vintage TVs...It gets beat to heck riding in the car and being dragged everywhere, and I'm glad it did not come to me prefect as I don't ever feel bad adding wear.

Perfect gear is like finding a good LP still in the shrink wrap...You end up torn on whether to enjoy it as it was meant to be or keep it perfect.
Amen to that. Better to use the heck out of them than turn them into shelf queens. As long as mine isn't rusty and doesn't have massive case damage it's fine by my standards. When mine got to me, the foam rubber holding the socket adapters had disintegrated completely and made a huge sticky mess. Once cleaned up it was fine.

Last edited by Jon A.; 02-19-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:50 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Three feet are missing, and the fourth is not far behind. The foam in mine is definitely starting to fall apart. I wonder if you can buy that foam stuff anywhere?
Old 02-20-2017, 12:35 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I'm sure foam rubber is readily available, maybe you could just liberate some from a trash-bound couch cushion, it'll just have to be cut to shape. The foam from my parts unit is okay but I'll have to cut new stuff eventually.

It's kind of like what happened to a lot of 8-track tapes; most foam pressure pads rotted and fell apart whereas some are still as good as new. Those could be made of Polyurethane foam, that's what's in my chair anyway and it's getting along in years and holding up fine.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've seen a friend's CR-70 revive a stone dead 16GP4 to weak, but usable...The CR-70 is on my to get list...
Seems like a little peer-pressure.
Reminds me of the Eddie Murphy routine about the ice cream cone.
" I have a CR70 and you don't".
I bought one a while back, because I was starting to feel inferior to the rest of the group here.
Audiokarma