Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Another little tidbit of information...

Some time ago, the Feds set up an inspection station just west of Atlanta for all big rigs.They had to drive thru a radiation scanner that was to check for nuclear material that terrorists may try to smuggle in. They didn't find any nuclear material but they did find that the phosphors on color crt's would give a little reading on the scanner.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:54 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Here's my "Nooclur combat, toe to toe w/th' Rooskies" story. I think I've told it, but its still a good story I can't vouch for its accuracy, but its still a crackin' good tale. US 11-W passes thru Greater Bugtussle here. Back in the times past, you could go from Canada to Nawlins on it. Now, its just a hardened artery of our nation's past. It has several big old, classic Southern Mansions on it, one of which belonged to a Mrs John Thompson, who eked out a small stipend as an elementary school teacher. Mr Thompson had passed on a long while back. During the War, Mrs T augmented her income by renting out rooms, & fixing a small breakfast for her guests. She developed a pretty respectable clientele, & had quite a few folks who paid her return visits, all thru the War. There were one group of men who always came in threes, usually staying overnight, missing a day or 2, then all three would return, & maybe see her again in roughly a month. Naturally, Mrs T was curious about all this, but she never asked questions. This kept up all thru the war years, & after it was all over with, a few of her guests stopped by & told her good bye. One day, out of the blue, this one bunch of guys stopped by. They were the crew who always showed up in threes. there were 2 of 'em who wore uniforms, the one fellow always wore a suit. He asked her if she'd ever wondered what was going on.... Sure, she said, but it wasn't any of my business.. He asked her if she remembered the night all 3 of 'em stayed in the truck... Yep, I figured it was a big deal. Mrs Thompson, you had most of the Atomic Bomb in your driveway that night, he said.. Here in Greater Bugtussle, they were about a half day's drive to Oak Ridge . They'd spend some time there, go on to some other facility, & then would check back thru in a week or so. So there's my story. I can't confirm it one way or the other, but I knew Mrs Thompson-She was a substitute teacher when I went to elementary skule in the Sixties. She was NOT the kind of person who could ever possibly cook up a tale like that, so I tend to believe its the truth. There was another little old lady who lived here who was a big mucketty-muck in the Women's Air Corps, she bought ALL the spark plugs for the B-24 Liberator, I only got to meet her a time or 2, another sweet little old lady that I got the DEFINATE impression that you prolly DIDN'T wanna cross her. I'm thinkin' she had a pretty high rank, maybe a full-bird Colonel.
Fascinating story! I knew an old man who was on Tinian in World War II and he remember when watching them load the A-Bomb on the "Enola Gay" although at the time he had no knowledge what was going on until Colonial Tibbitts came back. He remember serving Tibbitts in the Officer's Club after the debriefing and all Tibbitts kept saying was "my God, what have we done?!" in his beer He also remembered "Bock's Car" too.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

So, I bought a $1 alarm clock at dollar tree, and put its hands on the Panasonic. Looks pretty good, and I don't have to wonder... still need to borrow the Geiger counter though!
Old 05-24-2017, 01:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
Some time ago, the Feds set up an inspection station just west of Atlanta for all big rigs.They had to drive thru a radiation scanner that was to check for nuclear material that terrorists may try to smuggle in. They didn't find any nuclear material but they did find that the phosphors on color crt's would give a little reading on the scanner.
Cargos of bananas can also give a radiation alert due to the presence of potassium 40. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose

I'm amazed that CRT phosphors are radioactive, but then if bananas are then one shouldn't be surprised at anything.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:50 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_europium

It says the half life of the natural isotope 151Eu is 5x10^18 years - 1 alpha decay per two minutes per kilogram - so it wasn't realized it was unstable originally and they must be detecting low levels indeed. In fact, since alpha rays are easily stopped by the flimsiest shielding, I wonder if they aren't detecting a different type of radiation from some other elemental impurities in the Europium.
Audiokarma
Old 05-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Ironic that this came up now. I just bumped into this on the 'net the other night:

https://www.unitednuclear.com/index....roducts_id=384
Old 05-24-2017, 11:59 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Similar to this? Alkaline Rare Earth Metal Silicate-Aluminate Oxide Europium Doped

Was thinking about getting some to re-do the markers and hands on my recently acquired Jefferson Golden Hour clock.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

I never eat bananas.

Saw a video on Youtube (or somewhere) where a man was checking radioactivity of rainwater collected in a paper plate. This was in Iowa or Missouri shortly after the Fukishima event. I have since learned radioactivity has been discovered in rainwater in all 50 states.
How well can you local municipality filter that out?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

There is background radiation everywhere. Mostly from natural causes. If you live in a city built on granite your background radiation dose will be much higher than most. Still harmless.

What's more of a problem is radon. In some areas where the rocks contain a significant amount of radium the radon that it produces can build up in basements. This can be a very real hazard. The cure is simply ventilation.

In the UK the worst affected area is Cornwall, in the far southwest. This article is a good and sensible view of the subject:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...e-2047987.html

If you live near here then your background dose is likely to be a lot higher: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natura...ission_reactor

I don't think there's any practical way of removing radioactivity from the water supply and if it's only at background levels or slightly above there's no hazard anyway.