Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Ahhhh, I didn't look closely enough at the chart at first, it is indeed a 19QB.

That's awesome about the parts, much appreciated. I suppose the fine tuning knobs could easily be electroplated. The channel knobs, well, good luck restoring those. Also, I don't think I'll need to transplant anything; the ends of the shafts are about 1/8" below the trim panel. The socket does use female chassis connectors, those for the focus and filament leads being different. Both filament leads are attached to the same plug and the focus lead terminates in something that looks like an in-line fuse holder. The EIA number is a match and the patent number on the original is 3251016-337612.

I just realized, the knobs that came with it aren't even a matched set. The VHF knob is probably from a smaller set. I noticed the legend dial diameter difference right away, but now I see the VHF knob lacks the raised V-shaped section and is more chunky.

Last edited by Jon A.; 06-30-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:36 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Ahhhh, I didn't look closely enough at the chart at first, it is indeed a 19QB.

That's awesome about the parts, much appreciated. I suppose the fine tuning knobs could easily be electroplated. The channel knobs, well, good luck restoring those. Also, I don't think I'll need to transplant anything; the ends of the shafts are about 1/8" below the trim panel. The socket does use female chassis connectors, those for the focus and filament leads being different. Both filament leads are attached to the same plug and the focus lead terminates in something that looks like an in-line fuse holder. The EIA number is a match and the patent number on the original is 3251016-337612.

I just realized, the knobs that came with it aren't even a matched set. The VHF knob is probably from a smaller set. I noticed the legend dial diameter difference right away, but now I see the VHF knob lacks the raised V-shaped section and is more chunky.
To further muddle the knobs, GE issued silver trim/lettering for better models, and white for basic or plastic cabinet stuff. If they were out, either was substituted for the other. Customers hated this, but we were unable to specify no subs on out of stock stuff.

Vanco, a secondary supplier, had no problem sourcing GE knobs - GE tried to find out where in the supply chain they were getting real GE knobs. Vanco went to the plastics place making the knobs - and ordered in quantity. GE made the plastics place stop selling to aftermarket folks, only to dry up knobs in general. Our knob box was our savior a few times.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 06-30-2017, 07:25 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Oh yes, I noticed the numbering difference on the NOS knobs. At first I was evaluating the possibility of this being a lighting issue.

I see that GE supplied the cabinet base of a 19V set as well. Why not, it simplified final assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Under the 1976 Bradford console.jpg (78.2 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Jon A.; 07-02-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

After wiping away a little more dirt I found out the CRT is GE-made as well (EIA 188-23). Seems as if they supplied everything other than the cabinet and yoke, and maybe the blue lateral.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Followin' the Rules...

I was gonna do this in a PM, but it's germane to a BUNCH of GE and Bradford sets:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...TD-1980-11.pdf

Page 8/9 have a ton of 19QB tips, straight from GE. Other chassis included are YA, YC, JA, QA, QB
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 09-02-2017, 12:19 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Awesome, thanks. It is an oddity compared to others I've seen.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
I was gonna do this in a PM, but it's germane to a BUNCH of GE and Bradford sets:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...TD-1980-11.pdf

Page 8/9 have a ton of 19QB tips, straight from GE. Other chassis included are YA, YC, JA, QA, QB
JA, QA & QB are all similar so you can look for tips in all three.
GE used to request dud parts back for testing from time to time.
For your trouble they gave you nice tip books etc. There training manuals were the best of quality & deepest theory wise. AND they fed you
a full diner at the seminars. You were lucky to get water from the
Japs. GE could really get things right when they wanted but
knobs, gears & cabinet parts they never mastered. Seemed to get
the wrong thing half the time.

73 Zeno
LFOD !