Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pioneer PRO-151FD technical question

Hello, newby here so take it easy on me I did not see that this had posted before if it has set me straight. I help out as a tech at the local tv shop.
( I am retired so help out about 20 hours a week) anyway I am working on a Pioneer pro 151fd plasma with 8 blue blinks. I have replaced the voltage rectifier on the audio board as well as two smd caps which came in a kit. The unit will fire up and work properly however if you shut it off and turn it back on it will go back to the error code. If you unplug for 1 0 or 15 minutes it will reset and fire up. If you wait 10 or 15 minutes after you shut it off it will also fire up fine. Cant find anything in the service manual about resetting the error code faults. I cant get into the service menu as I need a factory service remote for this unit and it appears it cant be accessed from the regular remote. First time I have worked on one of these so am asking for input from you guys. Customer tells me it did the same thing for 2 or 3 months before quitting period so there is still probably an issue on the main or audio boards. Any help appreciated. Thanks Sam
Old 10-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Sam-

Welcome to Audiokarma. I do not have any experience with that model, so the only ideas I have are things you probably already know: Check for bad (typically bulging-top) electrolytic capacitors on the circuit boards, especially the power-supply board. The description of "it had a problem that I could work around, then it got worse" does sound like failing capacitors to me, most likely. Please let us know here if you do get it fixed or not. Good luck.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 10-18-2017, 07:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Sam. Do you have this service manual.Sorry if its the same as you have now.

https://elektrotanya.com/pioneer_pro.../download.html
Old 10-19-2017, 12:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi centralradio, funny thing is I am not sure if thats the one I had or not because when I went to find it in my computer today I couldnt find it. So I ended up downloading from the link you provided. I do believe it was the same. Thanks for the link. Sam
Old 10-19-2017, 12:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Chris, thanks for responding. I ended up sending the main and audio boards out to a repair service that advertised that they could fix this exact problem. I got them back today and it works. The only thing that I see that has been done is that they either cut the center leg off of the regulator that I installed or they replaced it with another one and cut the center leg off of it. This regulator has 5 legs on one side. After seeing that I recalled another tv I repaired a while back that had a similar problem of not seeming to clear the fault and the fix was to cut the center leg of a component and that fixed it.I will have to look at my notes to see what brand it was as I cant remember for sure. You are right about it sounding like a cap issue but usually the 1st thing I do in a case like this is to test the caps with an esr tester and also to make sure they are within specs and in this case they were fine. I will look at my notes and post what the other brand and model was and what the issue was that it had.
I want to say that it was not a pioneer as we seldom ever see pioneer tvs but just cant recall which is why I keep notes on repairs that are a bit unusual. Sam
Audiokarma