Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Motorola 14P5-3

Hi All, I just started on the restoration on this Motorola portable set. i aquired it several years ago. it is in really decent shape (Two Tone White over Turkoise). it has all of the knobs as well as it is clean.
The Crt test strong. i powered it up & i have a raster, but no sound, although i do have audio as i can hear a slight noise from the speaker when i turn the volume control. it seems like there is no signal coming from the tuner.
i pulled the chassis the other night & did some checking i found what appear to be small wirewound coils encased in a odd coating & they had corosion on the ends of three of them. the three coils also measured open with my ohmeter. i do not have a schematic for this set. is there anyone in this forum familiar this this set?
is there a way to bypass these coils? or is it worth going through the trouble of restoring if there is no replacement?

the chassis number is TS-423A-01
The Model # 14P5-3

i have attached a picture the the coils incircled.

Here's a picture of the front of the Set:

I have tried looking for a Sams photofact using the Sams index, But i cannot find ether the model or chassis number listed anywhere for that set. the only choice i have left is Beitmans most often needed TV service diagrams, but i cannot find them Listed anywhere in the Beitmans or anywhere on the internet.

i will add more photos of this set once i put it back together
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moto56-1.JPG (100.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Mot14p5-front.jpg (66.6 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by robert1; 02-22-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Peaking coils, or the like, I'm guessing. Those are usually not expensive or hard to find. You need the specs from the service manual, however.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 02-22-2014, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
Peaking coils, or the like, I'm guessing. Those are usually not expensive or hard to find. You need the specs from the service manual, however.
Where would i find these coils?

because i am on a limited fixed income, purchasing a sams photofact for this set is cost prohibitive for me. i was wondering if someone here could scan a copy of the diagram for me.

i have a large stock of replacement capacitors & resistors that i bought a few years ago so parts like that are not a issue with me. however i doubt that i can get by with just bypassing these coils without creating new problems for the set.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

i just decided to pull this set out & try another attempt to get it to working. i found some peaking coils that were similar in size, but the ratings are unknown. i have already replaced all the capacitors.

fortunately, i have the values of these coils (thanks to Bob Anderson). however, i am not having too much luck finding the exact ones :-(

Last edited by robert1; 02-23-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I recently learned of the wonder that are peaking coils. My TV also happens to be a Motorola, apparently they used these components more so than other manufacturers of the day. I was going to try to swap out mine when I'm home for spring break in a few weeks but now it looks like that won't happen.

See this thread: http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269985

The answer is modern equivalents are available and they aren't particularly expensive. You could try swapping in some of your mystery coils, I don't think you would hurt anything. It would just be a waste of time if none of them work. Personally I would opt for new substitutes or NOS originals if you can find them. As far as acquiring a schematic, ask Tim (Kamakiri). He was kind enough to send the one I needed to me, for free. Good luck.

See this thread: http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=267073
Audiokarma
Old 02-23-2018, 12:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, Spaceage. i will try to see if i can find them at the E.T.F.