Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

WE302 that won't ring

I got a Western Electric 302 on my side table next to my sitting chair in my office, but it has decided to stop ringing.

I've traced the problem down to the hook switches. The phone does go on-hook when hung up, but it seems the other contact is intermittent. I've tried to clean it, even deoxit the contacts, but it still will fail to ring.

More specifically, after cleaning, it works for a day or two, then I notice it'll start ringing late, or simply not at all.

Any ideas? Hoping there are some phone guys here too.

EDIT: And now, after 2 days of it not ringing, now it rings again. I'm at a loss here. If it rings late, it rings just fine until the phone is answered.

Last edited by lnx64; 01-10-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:36 PM
The Resident Brony

Sandpaper the contacts, see if it loses it after that.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

I didnt think they were capable of breaking !
I have a WE from the early 60's on my desk. You can understand
what people are saying unless they use a cell phone. Also if we ever
had an EMP attack it will be one of the first to run again.
MADE IN USA

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-11-2018, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

What's its REN. (Probably 1?)
What is driving your phone line -- official phone company copper pair, or a VOIP thing? (Sacrilege, I know.)

Even if telco copper, some sort of 'ring booster' may be in order, if those exist.

Or, you could port it to Google, and have your cell phone receive a text when your landline is ringing...

Chip
Old 01-11-2018, 05:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
What's its REN. (Probably 1?)
What is driving your phone line -- official phone company copper pair, or a VOIP thing? (Sacrilege, I know.)

Even if telco copper, some sort of 'ring booster' may be in order, if those exist.

Or, you could port it to Google, and have your cell phone receive a text when your landline is ringing...

Chip
The phone's REN is 1, the service I have supports up to 5 REN. It's VoIP copper. I have a WE500 that I tested on the line, also a 1 REN phone, and it works just fine, rings every time, no issues.

Tried my WE302 at my previous jobs PBX right off their analog board, which supports a massive amount of ringing current right off the transformers, nope same issue as home, just intermittent.
Audiokarma
Old 01-11-2018, 04:18 PM
M is for Memory

That would make a great bedroom phone.,.I have one from the 40's that someone intentionally disconnected the ringer on. Rather than fix it I put it in my room, and enjoy NOT being woken up at 3 am by telemarketers.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-11-2018, 04:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Sandpaper the contacts, see if it loses it after that.

NO! Don't ever use sandpaper on electrical contacts, unless your goal is to destroy them. Contacts should be cleaned or burnished with a proper burnishing tool, but sandpaper will take away the precious metal contact points. It may result in a quick fix, but once sanded, the points will corrode far more quickly and you'll be chasing the problem forever.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:17 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
NO! Don't ever use sandpaper on electrical contacts, unless your goal is to destroy them. Contacts should be cleaned or burnished with a proper burnishing tool, but sandpaper will take away the precious metal contact points. It may result in a quick fix, but once sanded, the points will corrode far more quickly and you'll be chasing the problem forever.
I hate to tell you this but after so many years of use, contacts get degraded anyway. Besides, 500 grit is the same thing as burnishing.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

WE302 that won't ring

Here's a wiring diagram so you can check the connections:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/...nnections/file

What is the manufacturer & model of VoIP ATA you're using? It could be that it's not putting out sufficient ring voltage. Other people have had that issue, and some ATAs have software settings for the ring voltage. Measure the ringing voltage on your line when it's called and let us know what it is.

Also, it could be a problem with the switch hook, as you surmised earlier. Carefully examine the operation of the mechanism visually to see if it's working reliably and without sticking. Also, use the wiring diagram to verify continuity, etc.

Maybe the ringer capacitor is the problem, but it's pretty rare.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well remember, I connected straight to the analog board of a PBX at my previous job as a test, and it was the same issue, those things are wired right to a huge transformer and use relays to connect the phone straight to them (90v AC if I remember?) to ring the phone.

I'm using a Vonage V-Portal, but not the newer one's that don't have LCD's, this is the one with the built in Caller ID. I used to use this phone on this VoIP box for years before putting the phone away. It's only after the phone was in storage did it start having these problems.

I'll need to re-examine the switch hook and see if I can see any issue, perhaps it needs more cleaning than alcohol and deoxit.

I could test the capacitor if needed, but neither does the schematic, nor does the cap itself, say what the value is.
Audiokarma
Old 01-13-2018, 09:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
Well remember, I connected straight to the analog board of a PBX at my previous job as a test, and it was the same issue, those things are wired right to a huge transformer and use relays to connect the phone straight to them (90v AC if I remember?) to ring the phone.

I'm using a Vonage V-Portal, but not the newer one's that don't have LCD's, this is the one with the built in Caller ID. I used to use this phone on this VoIP box for years before putting the phone away. It's only after the phone was in storage did it start having these problems.

I'll need to re-examine the switch hook and see if I can see any issue, perhaps it needs more cleaning than alcohol and deoxit.

I could test the capacitor if needed, but neither does the schematic, nor does the cap itself, say what the value is.
Take the phone apart that works properly and check the capacitor in it. I don't think the circuitry changed that much.
It's good to see that you recovered from your severe health issues.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
I hate to tell you this but after so many years of use, contacts get degraded anyway. Besides, 500 grit is the same thing as burnishing.

Contacts get dirty from contaminants and from carbonization from use. They can also get corroded from something in their environment.

Either way, you want to CLEAN them, not grind them down.

Switch & relay contact springs have precious metal plating at the contact points and if you use an abrasive, it will remove that plating, revealing the base metal which will corrode/get dirty far easier & quicker.

Of course, contacts don't last forever and will need replacement eventually. But they can last a long time when properly maintained. Use of sandpaper is a death knell, though.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:55 PM
The Resident Brony

You're right, of course. But so am I. 500 grit is the same as a burnishing tool.