Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Philco 13" TV

At a thrift store a few weeks ago I saw a Philco 13" TV. It was clearly a Magnavox relabeled set from Philips. I'd guess early 90s vintage, because it clearly didn't have a closed caption decoder given it had display and status buttons on the front, and no menu button.

Anyway, it looked good and was only a few bucks. It reminded me a lot of the 19" Magnavox Channel One TVs I posted in another thread, but I have never seen one of these 13" TVs labeled as Philco, usually it was Magnavox or maybe Sylvania.

I am really tempted to get it, but I definitely don't need it. I am not into collecting TVs, but it is so tempting. I know most people wouldn't give it a second glance, but I like these early 90s TVs for some reason. I could possibly use it as a gaming TV as I always thought 13"ers had good picture for that, but I know there are better choices as this would only have a coax jack surely.

Looks basically like this, but with PHILCO instead of SYLVANIA:

Last edited by crt89; 08-06-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 08-06-2016, 03:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

For a few bucks you almost cant loose.
These sets were known for bad micro IC's. They were
mounted right under the CRT & static would damage them.
New micros came as a kit with a shield. Funny thing is
the PCB was made for a shield but the bean counters
seemed to leave them out.
If you want to be sure have them leave it on for half a day.
Come back & be sure ALL the functions work. Also watch the
OSD. It would with strange characters like pac man or jap
symbols

73 Zeno
Old 07-28-2018, 04:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I saw another of these at the Restore today, didn't look too closely at it. After I left I thought about going back to see how much it was, but realizing I didn't need any more junk! Eventually I did go back, but it had already sold! Can you imagine an old 13" CRT selling that fast?

I've always been partial to these Magnavoxes from the early 90s because they're almost like a mini version of the Channel One 19" Magnavoxes we had in classrooms during my junior and senior high school years. I like simplistic OSD system they use, not overly complicated, since they came before the closed caption decoders.