Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

20" GE (Thomson) CTC136 from 1988.

I was given this set today and after a slight greyscale touch-up, it produces a very good picture. I'm a little angry at myself because while I was unloading it, I accidently busted off the secondary control door. All I did was break off the plastic pin from the door; so, hopefully, I can fix it. Before I put this set to use, I'll probably open it and re-solder the connections on the MTT tuner module.

I have the 19" version of this set with the controls to the right of the screen; but, I think this 20" set has a better picture. As far as features, they are identical to my 19" set and they both use the exact same remote.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stuff 007 (640x524).jpg (33.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-12-2015, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I was given this set today and after a slight greyscale touch-up, it produces a very good picture. I'm a little angry at myself because while I was unloading it, I accidently busted off the secondary control door. All I did was break off the plastic pin from the door; so, hopefully, I can fix it. Before I put this set to use, I'll probably open it and re-solder the connections on the MTT tuner module.

I have the 19" version of this set with the controls to the right of the screen; but, I think this 20" set has a better picture. As far as features, they are identical to my 19" set and they both use the exact same remote.
Why would they offer a 19" and a 20" tv? What would one gain by spending I'm assuming $50-$75 more just for just one more inch of viewing area on a 20" set vs. a 19" set?
Old 12-13-2015, 12:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

The 19" generally was the value leader without any inputs and mono sound, stepping up to the 20" got you the dark low glare CRT, composite inputs, stereo sound and sometimes a universal remote. The 20" tube was also squarer and flatter.

Last edited by dishdude; 12-13-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
The 19" generally was the value leader without any inputs and mono sound, stepping up to the 20" got you the dark low glare CRT, composite inputs, stereo sound and sometimes a universal remote. The 20" tube was also squarer and flatter.
I see...
Old 12-13-2015, 08:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Many manufacturers did the same thing offering a 25" and 27" at the same time. 25" was always the lower priced and featured set.
Audiokarma
Old 12-13-2015, 08:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Some even offered 26" sets.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here are some better pictures of the TV. It uses a CTC136P chassis and the only difference I can see between this and the 19" version is the 20" version has a blueish CRT and the 19" version has a dark tint CRT. Also, the 19" has the controls to the right of the screen. I've also seen a dual knob tuned version of this set; but, I don't recall ever seeing a single varactor knob tuned version of this set. However, one could have still been made.

The chassis looks fairly clean; so, that tells me it's a low hours set. I can tell that the tuner module has been worked on; which, is no surprise.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:48 PM
sampson159

these are pretty damn good sets.always produced a really fine picture and seemed to perform for many years.still see them at thrift stores and they all work like new
Old 12-23-2015, 08:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, that is super clean inside.