Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Keep or Recycle?

Hey guys, I've got too many TV's, and I'd like to thin the herd a bit. I've got two Sony Trinitron 20" BPC sets, and I'd like your thoughts regarding keeping or recycling one or both of them. Both work fine.

First set is a KV-20EXR20 which I bought new in early 1992 for $500. This was the model just below the XBR series. Pluses include two sets of composite AV inputs (including one S) and one set of audio outputs (plus terminals to connect outboard speakers directly). I have the original remote, and obviously, since I bought it new, I know the history. It's been in storage the last 12 years.

Second set is a KV-20S40 (1999 build date), which I bought off Craigslist for $20 a couple years ago. Stereo set, with two sets of composite AV inputs, no audio output. Remote was lost before I bought it, and older Sony's can be tough to get all functions to work with a universal remote. No idea of the history or hours on the set.

I've also got 2 Toshiba (Orion-built) flat CRT sets from 2004 that have more extensive jack panels (component and composite) which I bought new and will likely keep for the time being. So obviously I have plenty of "extra" CRT style sets in case I ever need a SD CRT set for whatever reason.

So what say you? Anything special about either Sony model, or should I send them to the recycler with a clear conscience? I wish I could donate them to a worthy cause, but nobody wants smaller CRT sets anymore, and I don't want to give them to a scrapper.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:58 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't send them to the recycler, list them on Craigslist for Gamers who like CRT's.

If they're free someone will probably take them.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I wouldn't send them to the recycler, list them on Craigslist for Gamers who like CRT's.

If they're free someone will probably take them.
I've got the KV-20S40 on Craigslist at the moment for $10. I hesitate to list it for free, because I don't want it going to a scrapper. I have no problem giving them away to someone who will use and appreciate them, though.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Personally, TV's such as that are too new for my collection. If you want to get rid of them, I'd try giving them to someone who can use them before sending them to the crusher.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Damn, I've been looking for the EXR for a few years now. They never show up on the Maryland CLs.
Audiokarma
Old 01-11-2016, 09:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outland View Post
Damn, I've been looking for the EXR for a few years now. They never show up on the Maryland CLs.
Most folks didn't want to put that kind of money in a mere 20" TV. They'd rather put the extra bucks into buying a 27". But I liked it, and it was probably one of the most fully-featured 20" sets of the time.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

PM'd.