Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK who has seen the IKEA TV press release?

I think they look cool, well the one with the rack underneath especially. Wasn't a thread on this website just talking about how the console was dead and burried? I'm going to have to check this out once it hits the stores.

http://www.gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/t...il-2013-722993
Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
I think they look cool, well the one with the rack underneath especially. Wasn't a thread on this website just talking about how the console was dead and burried? I'm going to have to check this out once it hits the stores.

http://www.gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/t...il-2013-722993

I started that thread because I was curious whether or not the console TV would ever make any sort of comeback in the digital age.

Yes, I did see the MSNBC item (on msnbc.com) on the IKEA console HDTV system. I bet it will sell well when it does arrive in this country -- we'll just have to wait and see what pans out. It looks huge, so anyone thinking of getting one when it does get here had better have lots of room. Reminds me of the very large Zenith, Magnavox, et al. 3-way entertainment centers of the '60s-'70s.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Not sure how I got here.

I herd about it, I think it was on the morning business news on NPR one day last week? I don't remember. But I thought about the comeback of the console too. I wonder if they'll include speakers larger than 3"??
Old 04-19-2012, 12:10 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I herd about it, I think it was on the morning business news on NPR one day last week? I don't remember. But I thought about the comeback of the console too. I wonder if they'll include speakers larger than 3"??
In answer to your question, yes, I certainly hope the IKEA system (and any variation of it if/when it comes to the US) has a much better audio system than today's flat screens. My Insignia 19" set has two 3" speakers for stereo sound, but they don't sound much better than ordinary TV speakers since the ones in my TV are mounted in back of the cabinet, and fire back to the wall rather than to my ears. There are stereo audio outputs on the side of the set for connection to an external stereo system; I'd use them, but since the mute button on the TV remote does not work with these outputs, or for that matter with the earphone jack, I have not bothered connecting the TV to my bookshelf stereo system. Doesn't matter to me anyway, as most of what I watch on TV (the news and DVDs) does not lend itself well to stereo sound; besides, I am practically deaf in one ear, so the stereo effect would be lost on me.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
There are stereo audio outputs on the side of the set for connection to an external stereo system; I'd use them, but since the mute button on the TV remote does not work with these outputs, or for that matter with the earphone jack, I have not bothered connecting the TV to my bookshelf stereo system.
If your stereo has a "mute" function, you may be able to "teach" the mute button on your remote to mute the stereo instead of the TV even though it is set to control the TV. I don't use the built-in speakers of my main TV at all, and have my remote set up to control all of the amplifier functions when in "TV control" mode. MUCH better sound!

jr
Audiokarma
Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Administrator

TV's with built in DVD players are nothing new, in fact they are quite notorious for being cheap junk.
Combine that with Ikea's cheap junk furniture and I predict a disaster.

What happens when the DVD player quits, do you spend a hundred dollars to fix it (if it can be serviced) or do you buy a different one and cut a hole in the cabinet to make it fit?

"LCD panels are from TCL, a major Chinese manufacturer"
Funai is a Major manufacturer too, anyone want one of their TV's?

I know I'm being cynical but really, that set looks like a cheap TV sitting on a cheap table, you could put a nicer name brand set together for less than the $1000 this will cost.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

I'm with you, Eric. TCL is a very-low-end manufacturer, that (mis)uses the RCA name on some of their stuff. A $350 42" TV and $150 HTIB in $100 of Ikea cabinetry is not my idea of good home entertainment equipment. There are, however, "fans" of Ikea who just like their stuff regardless of true merit (or who just don't know better), and that group will probably love these setups.

--I am sitting on an Ikea couch as I type this, though--

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."