Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Post Can you use the RCA Digital Command Center Remote with a RCA 1982 Colortrak 2000 TV?

Hello.

I have a RCA 1982 Colortrak 2000 Television. I recently acquired the Grey RCA Digital Command Center Remote. I would like to know if this remote will work with the '82 model as I believe it was designed to be used with the later 1983 lineup of RCA Colortrak 2000 TV's, CED Player and VCR.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg digital-command-center.jpg (70.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-14-2018, 10:19 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Odds are decent it should work, try it. What have you got to lose?
Old 03-15-2018, 10:04 AM
M is for Memory

Those take 4 AA batts. Pop some in and try it...Much faster/easier than combing through lit to see if it is compatible (and it is not like you can hurt the TV with the wrong remote)...If the TV doesn't respond look at the front of the remote through the viewfinder of a digital camera or camcorder...CCD imaging devices can see infrared light so if you watch the front via a viewfinder and push a button on the remote you should see a flashing light on the remote front in the viewfinder.

If the remote lights and the TV don't respond they probably are not compatible...If the remote doesn't light then the remote needs repair or your batteries are weak.

I've got 2 remotes from that period that I want to use with my CED player...One doesn't light, and the other probably ain't compatible.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-15-2018, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tom C. you never quit amazing me with your all around knowledge. Great asset to this forum.

Larry W
Old 03-15-2018, 01:32 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Predicta View Post
Tom C. you never quit amazing me with your all around knowledge. Great asset to this forum.

Larry W
Thanks for the kind words.

Audiokarma
Old 03-15-2018, 07:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Those take 4 AA batts. Pop some in and try it...Much faster/easier than combing through lit to see if it is compatible (and it is not like you can hurt the TV with the wrong remote)...If the TV doesn't respond look at the front of the remote through the viewfinder of a digital camera or camcorder...CCD imaging devices can see infrared light so if you watch the front via a viewfinder and push a button on the remote you should see a flashing light on the remote front in the viewfinder.

If the remote lights and the TV don't respond they probably are not compatible...If the remote doesn't light then the remote needs repair or your batteries are weak.

I've got 2 remotes from that period that I want to use with my CED player...One doesn't light, and the other probably ain't compatible.
You mean the one I had doesn't work at all!
I never really tried it and if I did, I probably did the AM radio trick. I don't remember trying it on an actual piece of equipment.
After that many years some functions probably wouldn't work, but I really wanted to see it work on your CED player.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:07 PM
M is for Memory

The IR emitter is not functioning. I haven't declared it dead/lost cause yet, but I haven't found time to get to the root cause of its problems yet...Right now it is among about a dozen other projects in a sort of purgatory that comes about when I have enough time to open a project up, life suddenly gets busy for a while, I forget about what I was doing and or priorities change. Eventually, I'll get back a roundtuit.

My main video source rack where the CED player it should work with resides is LONG overdue for a rewire (which should kick me back to the remote project)...Normally I do that annually, but has held it's core configuration (analog cable with analog TVs) for probably 3X that by now...Gear in the rack needs repairs and so many things have changed in the way I watch/record TV in that time that it is devolving into a flying spaghetti monster of jury rigs to make digital cable TV work and support my Sony HDCRT with HD video...Some warped part of my subconscious must enjoy having and expanding an impractical backlog of projects.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:44 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Some warped part of my subconscious must enjoy having and expanding an impractical backlog of projects.
I think that's true of most of us here. The key is knowing when to stop for a while, a skill which I'm not even close to mastering.

I have a cable box remote with two infrared emitters connected in series. There was a cold joint just before the emitters that was very tricky to spot.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Are you sure it is infrared remote and not ultrasonic?

My family bought an RCA 25" color set in I believe December 1981 or December 1982. The remote was ultrasonic. The original remote broke a few years later, and I bought a replacement, Phillips ECG RT114.

That set had the best adjacent-channel rejection of any I've seen, but the red was brownish and even strong signals gave a picture with video noise.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Decided to take a closer look at the remote, this morning. Apparently I managed to overlook some writing on the bottom battery tray. I didn't bother to noticed the first time. "NEDA TYPE 15A OR EQUIV." ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside_Grey_RCA_Digital_Command_Center_Remote.jpg (40.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by HoboJoe; 03-24-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-24-2018, 11:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

NEDA type 15A... in other words, a common AA alkaline.

jr
Old 03-24-2018, 04:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep: https://www.hnstools.com/rayovac-aa-...eda-15a/detail
Old 03-25-2018, 02:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:00 PM.