Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

flat chassis Zenith in a chrome cabinet!

I just brought it home. I would bet it works, but I haven't even tried it yet. A 1974 model, 25EC58 chassis, SC600 -

It came with what I think is the original stand and 3 remotes. The one on the left, the SC600Z with the orange on/off button is probably the original, the SC600Z with the white button is newer, and then the one on the right, the SC600X is older. I looked around for other Zeniths those might go to, but this was the only TV there. I also picked up that little Zenith 'Royal 300' transistor radio.

This has been a good summer for estate sale finds in the Detroit area. Those 1961 Zenith consoles (the SC400 B&W and the console stereo), were also estate sale finds ('Captainmoody' found them at a sale, and I got them from him). This was at an estate sale on a small island SE of Detroit. You could see Canada across the water from the front yard of the house. I got there at 9:30 (when it opened at 10) and there was already a big line out front of the house. And they only let in a few people at a time, so it wasn't until 10:30 that I got inside. The TV was upstairs, so I had to carry it down the stairs. I took a couple pictures of the sale, if I can figure out how to post them from my phone, I will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chromezenith.jpg (117.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 06-10-2016, 02:03 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I just brought it home. I would bet it works, but I haven't even tried it yet. A 1974 model, 25EC58 chassis, SC600 -

It came with what I think is the original stand and 3 remotes. The one on the left, the SC600Z with the orange on/off button is probably the original, the SC600Z with the white button is newer, and then the one on the right, the SC600X is older. I looked around for other Zeniths those might go to, but this was the only TV there. I also picked up that little Zenith 'Royal 300' transistor radio.

This has been a good summer for estate sale finds in the Detroit area. Those 1961 Zenith consoles (the SC400 B&W and the console stereo), were also estate sale finds ('Captainmoody' found them at a sale, and I got them from him). This was at an estate sale on a small island SE of Detroit. You could see Canada across the water from the front yard of the house. I got there at 9:30 (when it opened at 10) and there was already a big line out front of the house. And they only let in a few people at a time, so it wasn't until 10:30 that I got inside. The TV was upstairs, so I had to carry it down the stairs. I took a couple pictures of the sale, if I can figure out how to post them from my phone, I will.
Yours is the first Zenith TV in a chrome cabinet I have ever seen or even heard of, which leads me to believe it was a limited-edition model when it was new. Most if not all other Zenith televisions I've seen have been in vinyl-clad metal cabinets, black ones or plastic. (I had a Zenith 19" portable in the late '70s with a woodgrained top, sides, and speaker grille, but the rest of the cabinet was plastic; I had another Zenith portable after that with a solid black plastic cabinet.) I wonder if your set was one of the higher-end Zeniths, perhaps a step above the Avanti consoles. But why three (!) remotes?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 06-10-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've found the vinyl covered metal cabinets to be rarer than the ones that are just painted metal, or the fake woodgrain metal. Of the metal cabinet Zeniths I've had: 4 b/w painted metal, 4 b/w 'wood' metal, 2 b/w vinyl covered metal, 1 color painted, 1 color 'wood' metal, and this chrome one.

My guess about the remotes is that they had two other remote Zeniths at one time (at least one other one - because why else would they have had the older SC600X remote). Or maybe they still had them stashed away in the basement or garage, which weren't open for the sale.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pic from out front of the house
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-10-2016, 02:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Across the street. I didn't get any from inside the house… And this phone is only letting me put one picture per post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.3 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Adam; 06-10-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-10-2016, 03:38 PM
M is for Memory

Ooh, wow! You found the "Penthouse" (IIRC) model. There was an ad or review of them in Playboy that got discussed on here a few years back.

If you ever want to sell it or trade, PM me. I'd happily swap 3 of my CCIIs and or some other stuff for that.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-10-2016, 03:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember that discussion, I searched for it, but couldn't find it. But I think the model was called 'the Avalon.' Some pics from inside the set…

It's nice to see that those notoriously bad white capacitors (and I think the tripler) were replaced, but somebody did a crappy job of soldering the new ones in - one of them is barely tacked on there. Otherwise it looks clean inside, just dusty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg czenith1.jpg (135.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg czenith2.jpg (60.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg czenith3.jpg (68.2 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Adam; 06-10-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:46 PM
TheUniversalDave1

NICE! I'd pay up to get a Zenith like that. I've been wanting a Space Command set for a LONG time now.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

As expected it works good. The only thing I noticed wrong with it is that the on/off button on the remote only works if I hold it right up to the microphone, probably something I can fix with alignment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cz1 copy.jpg (46.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 06-10-2016, 05:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is a great find ! We sold a lot of Zenith but this
& the Avanti combos never. A very rare set. Only thing
rarer is a special model for IIRC Hilton hotels in NYC
about this time. Probably a run off 1000.

73 Zeno
Audiokarma
Old 06-10-2016, 08:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

At first I was going to wait until Saturday to go get this, but when I looked closely at the pic and saw that it was a chrome cabinet I rushed out early this morning. The other one I've always liked from this era that seems rare is that version of the Avanti with the sliding doors. I poked around online and found this ad, which shows the '73 version of both the chrome set and the Avanti.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled 22.jpg (42.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 06-10-2016, 09:46 PM
M is for Memory

I've got an Avanti identical to the one in the ad, and while it does have a door (for the controls) I can tell you that it is hinged, and not a slide door.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-10-2016, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wasn't talking about the one in the ad, there's a Avanti-like Zenith that uses the same plastic base, but the sides of the cabinet are not painted white like the Avanti, and it has sliding wood doors on each side which roll into back into the cabinet and pull out and cover the whole front of the set.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I wasn't talking about the one in the ad, there's a Avanti-like Zenith that uses the same plastic base, but the sides of the cabinet are not painted white like the Avanti, and it has sliding wood doors on each side which roll into back into the cabinet and pull out and cover the whole front of the set.
There has been one on Ebay but cabinet only. Wanted 2 yards for it IIRC.
If he hadnt gutted it it would have sold.

73 Zeno
Old 06-11-2016, 08:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looked it up.

SE2560X the Windermere. orange SC600Z remote.

"Created for ultra modern life styles, this unique table
model shown above, is for the select few who dare to
be different. All metal cabinet with highly polished
chrome all around, on sides & top. Silver colored back.
Also available in grained American walnut all metal
cabinet (SE2560W) not shown. Control panel & grill
area in sharply contrasting ebony color."

73 Zeno
Audiokarma