Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Channel Master 6510 "cordless" transistor radio

About 20 years ago, I had one of these and don't know whatever happened to it. The other day, I saw one at a flea market for $45 (too much) and that reminded me of the one I had. After placing an ad on ARF, a forum member got in touch with me and he had two of these. One is in very nice shape and only needs a light clean-up and polishing. I believe this one has a defective volume control, as it is very loud when the control is at minimum volume and gets a little louder as the control is rotated towards maximum. Just to be on the safe side, I'll probably change all of the electrolytic caps. After all, this radio is 50 years old and even the transistor sets are getting to the point where they need a re-cap.

The other model 6510 actually doesn't look that bad; but, it has some battery corrosion inside the battery compartment. The whole idea with this radio is for me to use the volume control out of it to fix the nicer looking 6510.

Who knows, I may end up fixing both of these radios before I'm done.

This radio, along with most other CM radios that I've seen, is made in Japan by Sanyo. I think this one will be a good set once I get it working properly.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:16 PM
I like....big sparks!!

Got one just like it from a friend a few years ago. Seeing yours makes me want to clean it up, add batteries & see if it plays! Yours looks to be a tad cleaner than mine.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a Channel Master that has a volume control like that. Good radio, but that control bugs me.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's all back together and working. The only issue is that the volume still does not go all the way down; but, it's not nearly as bad as with the old pot and I'm not going to worry about it. It has a nice tone and is fairly sensitive, considering that it does not have a tuned RF stage.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:01 PM
a- v- karma member

As we all know, a tuned RF stage improves selectivity and image rejection, but does
not necessarily increase sensitivity in a broadcast band receiver...
Audiokarma
Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

That radio looks new! Since this is a battery operated radio, the volume control was probably designed not to turn all the way down so that you can't silence it without clicking off the switch so you don't run down the battery. This was common (and even more important) in battery operated portable tube sets, too.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.