Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Site News

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

So... How'd it go?... Any good finds?... Make good sales?... I see some nice one's posted here on this page. Too bad I couldnt make it, but I wonder, in reality how much $400, a portable '57 GE TV and a few radio's to sell/trade would actually get me.

Well, post some find's!!!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackN920 View Post
So... How'd it go?... Any good finds?... Make good sales?... I see some nice one's posted here on this page. Too bad I couldnt make it, but I wonder, in reality how much $400, a portable '57 GE TV and a few radio's to sell/trade would actually get me.

Well, post some find's!!!
There was a lot of interesting sets there, spanning 60 years. All kinds of radio's, TV's, B/W and color, parts, CRT's.
We missed a few of our regular posters. A few, I was really interested in meeting.
Most of the items, were priced a lot less than the usual EBAY offerings.
Try to make it the next time!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:45 PM
M is for Memory

I bought 11 TVs (counting the Portacolor without a CRT), a Reel to Reel tape deck (I have a few, but none that can handle the 15" reels like this one), and traded away two sets (though taking the Quasar was a condition of the trade) I took to the meet. I made exactly 0 cash sales.
Here are the pictures.

All show signs of life except for the hollow Portacolor, the 7" Admiral, the 10" RCA, and the little Sony.

The little Panasonic with no power up on the screen I quickly fixed to up 90% working, yesterday. The symptom described instantly made me think open series string filament, and I was right!...Sort of. One of the tuner tubes was completely missing. After finding one in my stocks it powers up and is just fine save for 1/3 vertical under-scan at the bottom, and some mild vertical fold over. I'll try and get it done tonight.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-21-2014, 08:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I bought 11 TVs (counting the Portacolor without a CRT), a Reel to Reel tape deck (I have a few, but none that can handle the 15" reels like this one), and traded away two sets (though taking the Quasar was a condition of the trade) I took to the meet. I made exactly 0 cash sales.
Here are the pictures.

All show signs of life except for the hollow Portacolor, the 7" Admiral, the 10" RCA, and the little Sony.

The little Panasonic with no power up on the screen I quickly fixed to up 90% working, yesterday. The symptom described instantly made me think open series string filament, and I was right!...Sort of. One of the tuner tubes was completely missing. After finding one in my stocks it powers up and is just fine save for 1/3 vertical under-scan at the bottom, and some mild vertical fold over. I'll try and get it done tonight.
Tom! I was great seeing you again and meeting your father.
It's really amazing how much the Honda CRV can haul.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Glad someone got that Setchell Carlson, I had my eye on it. Let me know if you need any TV tubes... The boxes of tubes I got in the donation auction were full of them... But i did score some nice 12ax7s and a quartet of 7591s in some of the boxes.
Audiokarma
Old 07-22-2014, 07:19 PM
M is for Memory

Yeah, I was a little bit bummed that I missed the the donation auction since I had my eye on those tubes.

I could use some spare 6LB6s tubes for my color sets.

I've been wanting a tube based video monitor to go with my EIAJ VTRs and my '71 Sony U-matic VCR, and that Setchell Carlson fits the bill well. It displays an impressive picture for a set that is probably unrestored.

Dieseljeep: It was nice talking with you and your friend at the meet. I had to ride home with my friend Chris in his car with one radio and one CRT box to bring it all home. Dad did not seem to like having some TVs riding shotgun with him...

Last edited by Electronic M; 07-22-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
There was a lot of interesting sets there, spanning 60 years. All kinds of radio's, TV's, B/W and color, parts, CRT's.
We missed a few of our regular posters. A few, I was really interested in meeting.
Most of the items, were priced a lot less than the usual EBAY offerings.
Try to make it the next time!
Sounds great! Priced less than average eBay prices, Mabey I could've really gotten a bunch! Would've been better than the damn auction I went too, but at least I was able to work on my old truck some that afternoon. Time was tight for me that day.

Quote:

11?! That's great! now hopefully ya did'nt have to give an arm and a leg for that collection. Reel to reel huh? I'd like to find a good 4 track recording unit sometime, probably going to be expensive if I ever find one. Around how much were those little 7" going for? I'd like to find one like that some time, and a few others like it. How much were some of the color sets going for? Preferably after the mid 50's as those ones will always be expensive. Let's see more y'all!!!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I've been wanting a tube based video monitor to go with my EIAJ VTRs and my '71 Sony U-matic VCR, and that Setchell Carlson fits the bill well. It displays an impressive picture for a set that is probably unrestored.
You mean I sold a set that actually worked? Shame on me!

That S/C, along with all those 7 & 10 inch sets came out of my storage bin. Many never made it to my home, so many of the sets were never tested by me. I bet some very good 7JP4's and 10BP4's went out in some of those sets.

Last edited by WISCOJIM; 07-23-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Fixed quote parameter
Old 07-23-2014, 09:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Around how much were those little 7" going for?
I had most of my 7-inch electrostatic sets priced from $30-90, but almost all were sold for much less as part of package deals. None of the 7JP4s were tested, so hopefully my buyers got lucky and got some good jugs cheap. I think I sold 7 sets with 7JP4s in them.

Last edited by WISCOJIM; 07-23-2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Fixed quote parameter
Old 07-23-2014, 05:26 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:

11?! That's great! now hopefully ya did'nt have to give an arm and a leg for that collection. Reel to reel huh? I'd like to find a good 4 track recording unit sometime, probably going to be expensive if I ever find one. Around how much were those little 7" going for? I'd like to find one like that some time, and a few others like it. How much were some of the color sets going for? Preferably after the mid 50's as those ones will always be expensive. Let's see more y'all!!!
IIRC I only spent 105$ including seller's fee. That RTR was a rusty and likely barn stored TEAC 3300....I have two other reliable TEAC RTRs, but this is the unit that has made me LOVE the brand. Despite dirty pots, a rusted capstan and a pinch roller that looked like it was probably bad all I had to do to make it work was plug it in and toss on a tape! I then cleaned it up. I bought it because it can play 15" reels which none of my other units could. It only cost me 20$, and I got some odds and ends with it too.

Some months ago I grabbed an AKAI 1800SS quadraphonic RTR/8-track off the local Craigslist for 40$ it works, but could use some tweaking.

I think the Portacolor set with the tube was listed for 20$, but I traded one of my sets for it and a bunch of others so the cash cost is less memorable. Not much tube color there. Only three Portas, and two CRTs IIRC.

Audiokarma
Old 07-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Tinker

Swap Meet Milwaukee

My son and I had a good time at the swap meet. It was the first I had been to in at least 20 years. We sold some tv parts, a tube tester, Rider's TV manuals, and an AK model 40 radio. I gave away an AK 55 chassis also.
I won four auctions, TV tubes *2, a tape recorder, and a 1997 Sony monitor, total cost about 6-7 dollars.
My son really got excited because someone gave him a Sanyo Betachord VCR for free.
It was nice to meet many of the VK members at the meet too.

Ed
Old 07-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Glad I couldn't go. War Dept has informed me I DON'T need any more Junque, need to FIX what I have now... Plus, Most of you would prolly LOVE to Punch Me in the Nose...
Old 07-24-2014, 08:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Glad I couldn't go. War Dept has informed me I DON'T need any more Junque, need to FIX what I have now... Plus, Most of you would prolly LOVE to Punch Me in the Nose...
You would've more than welcome!
A lot of your comments are really humorous.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
You would've more than welcome!
A lot of your comments are really humorous.
Nah, I'm REALLY a dour, mordant, sarcastic, hateful old crank...I enjoy stealin' Flies from Blind Spiders.. Bought up an Old Ladies' Home, just to Kick 'Em Out..
Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Greetings,
My name is John, and I have been a radio, audio and TV collector since the late 1970’s. My TV interest is in early TV, basically before 1950. I have been a member of this form for a while, and this is my first post. Last Sunday the WARCI swap meet was one of the best that I can remember. There were more early TV sets than I have ever seen in one place, and also some incredible vintage tube amps (pair Mcintosh MC60, Marantz 8B amp). The WARCI Swap meet was the first time that I ever had the chance to buy a truck load of early TVs, which is exactly what I did. If I had more room, I would have brought home four or five more sets.
If the WARCI plans to do this again, I would encourage everyone to come out. Following are what I bought and pictures of what I put into the truck.

Admiral 20X1
Crosley 10-401
Emerson 571
GE Locomotive – qty 3
Motorola VT-71 – qty 3
Sentinel 400
Teletone TV208 – qty 2

I will post a second with the last sets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Admiral 20x1.JPG (106.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Crosley 10-401.JPG (57.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Emerson 571.JPG (64.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg GE Locomotives.JPG (68.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Motorola VT-71.JPG (66.4 KB, 9 views)
Audiokarma