Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 AM
AK Subscriber

Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the Ree View Post
I just bought a GE Model 16K1 Television, Radio, Turntable console for 35 dollars. My loved think I am crazy, maybe but for 35 dollars I will buy them all day long.

I went to buy a piece of sculputure at a used furniture store, talking to the owner he showed me a Grundig 490U console *50 dollars*. My biggest problem was to get them home *I don't own a pickup*.

I traded a coworker that has a pickup a guitar to make the 25 mile trip and we picked them up. We missed the afternoon torrential showers and made it home. I was surprised to see it was from 1950 or 51.

I am a member of AudioKarma, and usually collect vintage stereo equipment, I just could not pass these item up. It would be nice to get the Grundig and GE up and running, if not they are still worth having.

What better icon of my time, the Televison, Radio and Turntable. Just a week earlier I bought a RCA Console with just a Turntable AM radio for 27 dollars.

I tell my daughter (she is16) how lucky she is to have the internet and the wealth of information that it has. I also try to show her the past, without appreciating the past how can you appreciate the "Now".
I feel the same way, it's good that you are preserving vintage for future generations. The Grunding Hi-Fi consol really looks good in todays decor, fits in well. I would not be surprised if the consol look may come back some day.
Back in those days, manufacturing was quality, it was built and sold to the North American public, anyone who bought that, knew it was built to last a life time, so you could buy with confidence. The companies being North American, knows that it was a major investment for most hard working people, and made sure that it was not going to be part of a landfill site two years later.

Last edited by HiFiCanada; 08-01-2011 at 05:49 AM.