Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Off screen 1949 CBS colour wheel TV film footage

G'day all.

I've been browsing the Critical Past site lately and have found on there a 3 minute film showing early off screen colour filming of an experimental CBS colour wheel TV in action displaying a lady showing colourful pieces of cloth http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...n-Monitor-Tube . In the past I have seen a 10 second snippet of this footage, but now it is great to see the film in its entirety, 3 minutes worth!!! The colours however look to be of the two colour gamut made of I guess orange and aqua or cyan, I wonder was this demonstration a 2 colour wheel television or a 3 colour wheel television but the film losing some of it's colour with age?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I THINK I remember seeing in '77 or '78, when I was in college in Richmond, Virginia, a documentary on TV about the early days of TV. The had a COLOR clip they claimed was "One of the 1st Color Broadcasts", it was a clip of Marlene Dietrich singing "Lili Marlene" from 1948...It had that "Kinescope-y" sort of look to it, & I THINK it was on the NBC network...Any of this ring a bell w/anyone ?!?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I guess they couldn't find the bowl of fruit. Seems the should have used things with wider range of colors including green or maybe green was there but the film is faded?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:53 PM
console lover

The colors on the film have faded. With the 15 fps shutter speed catching the (three) colors as they kind of strobed by I'm sure it never looked that great to begin with.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:31 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

That's Patty Painter who was often seen on CBS. Very nice find; so well documented.

Pete
Audiokarma
Old 04-27-2011, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

the footage is in Kodachrome

Given that the footage was filmed using Kodachrome I suggest the colors have not faded.

I am amazed at the quality. It does not seem to be flying spot or similar kinescope.. could you even do flying spot with FS color??? but rather looks like just a camera aimed at the screen.

I remember reading an interview with the young lady who remembered it all very clearly.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bloke View Post
G'day all.
I wonder was this demonstration a 2 colour wheel television or a 3 colour wheel television but the film losing some of it's colour with age?
The headers at the beginning of the film state the TV field rate is 144 per second, which is the CBS 3-color system standard.

What surprises me is that the cinematographer didn't film the presentation at the standard 24 frame per second rate, which is the color frame rate of CBS color. Perhaps there was just not enough light from the TV screen to do that.

Filming at 24 frames per second would have eliminated all the flicker. The four frame per second section looks the best because each film frame actually was exposed to 6 color tv frames.
Cliff