Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
That's the early one with the two 3DG4 B+ rectifier tubes, isn't it? I've only ever SEEN TWO of those, and I have been collecting TVs since 1978. Get it!!!

Charles
That would be the chassis.It's only the chassis as the cabinet is gone. Great for spare parts as a I have a presently working one except for some bumblebee caps that need replacing. One that needs replacing right now as you can't play it more than a half hour before the vertical goes into an uncontrollable roll.

I was extremely lucky on my working one. Cabinet is kinda beat up a little but the chassis is like new and has very little use judging by the 1961 dated strong original crt and almost all original Zenith tubes(all tested good) except for the damper tube which is an RCA tube.It had no evidence whatsoever of under chassis work also.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFitz View Post
I hope no here grabs the chassis out from under me now that the cat's out of the bag.
That won't happen - Compucat, myself, and the seller are the only VK folks nearby. I can't speak for Compucat, but I'm outta room for more vintage stuff. We all wish you well in getting the chassis - ethics and civility are hallmarks of the VK crowd.

Like I said in an earlier post, lemme know if there is anything you may need parts-wise while you are in the area. a PM will do!

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 05-28-2011, 05:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
That won't happen - Compucat, myself, and the seller are the only VK folks nearby. I can't speak for Compucat, but I'm outta room for more vintage stuff. We all wish you well in getting the chassis - ethics and civility are hallmarks of the VK crowd.

Like I said in an earlier post, lemme know if there is anything you may need parts-wise while you are in the area. a PM will do!

Cheers,
That's good to know.I had a certain member of a certain jukebox group grab out from under me a Seeburg Home Stereo Console out from under me by offering money for an item that was offered to me for free. Of course the ethics of the guy that had it where in the gutter too and he took the money.

Had arrangements to get it and everything and suddenly it was not available. The sad thing is I was getting this for my friend,not myself as I already have one. It was for the very same lady that now has the 1956 Admiral Super Cascode I have posted about a few times on here.

She only has a small suv and I have a pickup which you need to haul the 6 ft long HSC1.(Yes it really is 72" or 6ft long) you can bet your bippy I won't ask any questions or even casually mention any arrangements to get anything on that group unless it's safely in my possession.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
No, you're not stupid. Heck, I've been considering driving down to Jackson, TN to get this sad little Motorola 12K1 in the hopes the CRT is good or maybe it has parts I'll need for my 12K2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=310320834489

Sure, it's only $10.99 BIN, but it would be a 1,000 mile round trip.
If I can squeeze 30 mph out of my VW and figure $4/gal, that's $133 plus one long day of driving Now that's crazy
Well if you aren't in a hurry to get the sad Motorola, I live in Jackson and have family in Chicago. I would like to make the trip up there. If you wanted I could pick up the set and bring it in July or august. $100 to help with gas, and you wouldn't have to make the trip. Just a thought.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:47 AM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
Well if you aren't in a hurry to get the sad Motorola, I live in Jackson and have family in Chicago. I would like to make the trip up there. If you wanted I could pick up the set and bring it in July or august. $100 to help with gas, and you wouldn't have to make the trip. Just a thought.
I might take you up on that if I knew the CRT was good. Any chance you would be able to test it ?
I also have a restored Motorola 19K1 chassis that needs to find it's way down to Tennessee. I bet the owner would be happy to chip in some gas money too if you can manage it.

Last edited by bandersen; 05-29-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

The 3DG4 comments made me think. I bought a load of tubes from an old TV shop around 1980. I got several 3DG4's, but never saw a set that used them. I probably still have them in a box in the basement, as everything from the shop wound up there.

Back on topic: I drove from Asheville NC to Nashville TN to pick up a Crosley 402 (I think) chassis, that just happened to have a rebuilt CRT on it, that the seller never mentioned in our emails. I could not have been happier! The CRT is vastly better than mine is.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith used that rectifier tube in several models of black & white sets in the early 60's.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
The 3DG4 comments made me think. I bought a load of tubes from an old TV shop around 1980. I got several 3DG4's, but never saw a set that used them. I probably still have them in a box in the basement, as everything from the shop wound up there.
I have very VERY few of them, and they're a little costly to get since they were also used in some of the high-collectable audio gear. It's a high-current capable tube. I won't sell any, and I know they go for $$$$$$ on e-___y. Anyone who has or hopes to get a 29JC20, should try to have a few on hand.

Charles
Old 05-29-2011, 02:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
I might take you up on that if I knew the CRT was good. Any chance you would be able to test it ?
I also have a restored Motorola 19K1 chassis that needs to find it's way down to Tennessee. I bet the owner would be happy to chip in some gas money too if you can manage it.
What CRT is in the set and I will see if I can test it. I have a B&K 467 tester, but may not have the adaptor.
Audiokarma
Old 05-29-2011, 06:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I jumped all over my boss to get his dirt out and he did but it's still gotta wait until next Sunday as I went to Bethlehem,PA to pick a blonde Zenith Porthole combo today.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Based on recent ebay listings, it looks like they're not going for much any more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3DG4-NOS-4-vacuu...item4cf6c38181
Antique Electronic Supply has them listed for a dollar each! (as of today).
Old 05-31-2011, 01:24 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty59 View Post
Antique Electronic Supply has them listed for a dollar each! (as of today).
Indeed! It looks like they must have come out of the woodwork, or it was a fad that has passed over, among the hi-fi people in the 90s or early 2000s. Tubes get hot & cold on eBay. I remember when 6SN7s were 10 cents, and saw some brands go to $200 each (Telefunken), and now they're down again because everybody saw those prices and fished them out of storage.

Charles
Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I sure don't see anything wrong with that drive...heck, I've driven that far many, many times just for something to do-no TV stuff involved! Every couple years we will drive down as far as Cape Charles, just to see if it's still there, I guess! I don't go over the bridge just for fun, though, due to the $$$.

I'm glad rld drove to St.Michaels for that 630-he told me about the seller and we have become friends. I ended up getting my own 630 from him, along with lots of other goodies, usually via horse trading for audio stuff I find.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
Indeed! Tubes get hot & cold on eBay. I remember when 6SN7s were 10 cents, and saw some brands go to $200 each (Telefunken), and now they're down again because everybody saw those prices and fished them out of storage.

Charles
Same with vintage transistors. I sold a pair of new CK722's to a guy in S. Korea for just under 200 dollars in 1999, and now they can be had for under 20 bucks each. The only ones going for the bux now are the old Western Electric stuff, again to the foreign buyers.

With tubes, it's always a crap shoot. I used to list some "desireable types" on ebay about 10 years ago, and got mixed results. Mullard tubes, I got top dollar, but the Amperex, couldn't sell. Listed the same Amperex with the TV-7D/U test results, and got top dollar. A week later, I couldn't sell anything, but the same tubes by other sellers were hot - they had their (often bogus) "Hickok" test results. I got out quick - too much hype, little gain, and by that time I had already made enough for a Key West vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I don't go over the bridge just for fun, though, due to the $$$.
I don't blame you - not much non-commercial stuff to do down here, lest you wanna go see or hear some artsy-fartsy stuff. The occassional concert, but DC/Baltimore seems closer for you.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma