Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Hey hey, looking good!

Same thing is going on with my Philco metal cab roundie, the CRT gasket has this icky goo coming off it but I don't care that much about it to go fixing it. Besides, the convergence is *perfect* and I'd kick myself if I disturbed it for something as trivial as lens cleaning. It's annoying- stupid free Philco has better convergence than any other roudie I own, though I have the CTC-7 very very close.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:48 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Yeah I thought about that too. If I do it it will be a while before I get to it. Convergence is perfect and I don't want to mess it up. I'm just tickled it works. Will need to degauss it though. Don't have the equipment to do it. I used my soldering gun to get most of it out but will need something more heavy duty.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:01 PM

You can make your own if you have enough BPC sets to tear up, that's what I did. Took the coil out of another set, wound it up in a 10" coil, then powered it with a transformer. You can't power it directly off the line, or you'll blow fuses. That's why I used a small step down transformer, I think it's like 18 volts at an amp.

Or you could wind enough wire to run it off line voltage, but it seems a safer idea to run it off lower voltage. Failing that, Ebay always seems to have some.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:08 PM
"Book em Dano!"

I may be able to borrow one. I'll wait till I move it to it's final resting place because you know it will get magnetized again. I need to figure out my focus control first. You have to turn it all the way to one end. I suspect the 1V2(focus rectifier) is not receiving any filament voltage. Does not light up as far as I can see.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Is there anyone who wants to sell a good 21fjp22a? I don't want to pay more than the TV is worth. Mine is a little weak. Its dim and blurry when first turned on. Takes 5 or six minutes to clear up and get bright enough. It's watchable for now so I have some time and not in a huge hurry.
Audiokarma
Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 PM

You have PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:04 AM
<-- "Byron"

Did you test the CRT? Decent color tracking suggests the tube is fine.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

So they were still manufacturing round-tube sets as late as 1967... Interesting.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Yes, the Philco I got from Minnesota is a '67 or '68 model.

John: All the guns could be worn by the same amount giving a dim picture, and the tracking test will still pass as long as the current through each individual gun is close to the others. All tracking means is that all 3 guns are using the same amount of current, but even a tube that tracks poorly may still have a decent picture because all sets have screen controls for the purpose of balancing the tube out. I had an RCA supplement that mentioned the installation of a red screen control (most chassis had only blue/green) in certain cases where the tube refused to track correctly, in an effort to balance the thing out.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
So they were still manufacturing round-tube sets as late as 1967... Interesting.
They made round tube color sets until mid to late 1969. Muntz, and a few private label makes. They sold them as leader models.
Audiokarma