Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:40 PM
M is for Memory

Got a National HRO-50T and some other stuff today.

I went to the ARCI/6 club hamfest today, and came back with some nice stuff. Perhaps the best deal there was the National HRO-50T I go with a $50 offer...I'm not knowledgeable about boat anchors (I've owned 4 halicrafters though), but from what I've been reading on it, it seems to be one of the better ones made.

Clearly it has been dormant a while and needs some work. Anyone else have one and have any opinions on them, the resto work needed, performance, etc.
Part of me wants to fix it and sell it, but I'll probably like it enough once it works to want to keep it...

I got some other goodies at the meet too...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-20-2016, 12:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice TV!

After you and your dad left, I was still visiting with people and didn't get out of there until 4:25. There was still one older fellow packing up yet when I left.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:45 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Nice TV!

After you and your dad left, I was still visiting with people and didn't get out of there until 4:25. There was still one older fellow packing up yet when I left.
I'm happy that set re-appeared. I got lucky on that blue TV magnifier too...It was a $65 package deal with that working Transoceanic 3000.

Say did you get that GE locomotive in the donation auction? I was planning to bid, but the GE I've got sidetracked me on my way out of the building...

Old 06-20-2016, 11:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Say did you get that GE locomotive in the donation auction? I was planning to bid, but the GE I've got sidetracked me on my way out of the building...
No, I only got two things out of the auction. One was a huge box of TV tubes for $5, the other was the large tube storage/display rack for another $5.

And I got a good suntan for free!

Old 06-20-2016, 08:19 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The National HROs were "Top Flight" sets back then. Introduced in 1935, they went thru several models, up til the HRO-60s of the early 1960s. You had to buy coil sets of what frequencies you wanted to listen to, which were matched to each individual radio. Typically, the power supply was a separate piece, too, til the HRO-50 models. If you get one, try to make sure it has the 2 coils for AM/MW work, they can be tough to find. National FINALLY "Broke Down" & introduced a radio that didn't need coilsets, the NC-173 & NC-183 series in the late forties.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
The National HROs were "Top Flight" sets back then. Introduced in 1935, they went thru several models, up til the HRO-60s of the early 1960s. You had to buy coil sets of what frequencies you wanted to listen to, which were matched to each individual radio. Typically, the power supply was a separate piece, too, til the HRO-50 models. If you get one, try to make sure it has the 2 coils for AM/MW work, they can be tough to find. National FINALLY "Broke Down" & introduced a radio that didn't need coilsets, the NC-173 & NC-183 series in the late forties.
I have an NC-100 and a NC2-40D that technically, have individual coil sets.
It uses the sliding coil carriage assembly, that moves on a rack and pinion. Each coil position has contacts that mate with a set of fixed contacts.
James Millen, their head engineer, didn't believe in selector switches.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:45 PM
M is for Memory

Broadcast AM is one of the coil sets I don't have unfortunately.

Those contacts seem to be nicely made and on mine VERY dirty.
I just got it inside and pulled the bottom cover. All the caps are original, and a lot of harness wires under the power supply have been cut....I'm probably going to have to track the manual down for this one.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Interesting tidbit- After the end of the HRO 60s in '64, they came out w/the HRO-500, which was one of the first, if not THE first soiled state set of that caliber. Surviving examples now go for SILLY money.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
James Millen wrote the text for same of National's adds in QST. One ad proclaimed, that when they started building sets with band selector switches, it used a higher quality switch and tuning condenser, that they made themselves.
They claimed that they wouldn't use the kind normally found in lower priced B/C receivers. I wonder, who they were referring to!
Old 08-25-2016, 02:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

You should be aware that the heat shield in the HRO-50 has asbestos on it. You don't want to get that stuff airborne and breath it while trying to clean it up. I have one and they are a decent receiver, however I find changing coil sets a pain and the dial to be only good enough to give you an idea if you are in the cw or phone end of the band!
Audiokarma
Old 08-25-2016, 03:27 PM
M is for Memory

I'll make sure to get my angle grinder and cocane straw to put that Asbestos to good use!

I think I noticed that 'Bestos. It don't bother me...As long they used the Best-est 'Bestos. My RCA 9-t-246 probably had 5' square of Bestos inside the cabinet...Half of which came unglued.

I finished my recap on it weeks ago and it has been sitting since....I need to test it and track those clipped wires.