Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:29 AM
go big or go home

I'll post pictures, when i get a chance, this has happened a few times in the last couple of years, as recently as two weeks ago.

WGBH Boston to Toms river NJ.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Chequeing my old logbooks, my longest DX was Saskatoon to NYC (Queens county) July 11th, 2007. Pioneer TX-9500 tuner on FM, 300 ohm dipole 24ft above street level, freq=95.1Meg "wfmc" ...

Never was lucky enough to capture stereo fm via DX, and my TV DXing has always been too transient in nature to get a callsign.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

All into Mass in the olden days....

TV was a low powered translator from some little valley
in N.S. IIRC it was on ch3. Also logged a pile on 2-6
from most of the east US.

AM best was a Nev station above 1600. There is also
one in the USVI that came in easily listenable almost
every nite. 2nd AM was a graveyard (250 w ) from SC
during an aurora.

Ham was not really DX but..... On 10M Mobile-mobile both 25W
from E. Mass to Albany NY. Apparently thunder storms between
us caused this imposable QSO that lasted 5 mn

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Back in the late 60's when England still used VHF for TV I was trying to watch BBC1 on channel 4 (low band) from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter about 40 miles away, the picture was obliterated by co-channel interference from European stations via sporadic E. I tried other channels & on ch 3 (I think) a strange snowy picture appeared with no sound, it was 2 elongated pictures side by side with a black line down the middle. This was a 405 lines TV set & the only station in the world that used that system on low band was BBC1. I carried on watching & an ident came on, it was ORTF from France. France used 819 lines on low band & 819 is just over double 405, that would explain the black line down the middle. When the 625 lines low band Euro stations came in the 405 lines TV's couldn't resolve a picture & the screen was just a pulsating mess.

I very often get European FM radio stations coming in, even in perfect stereo. When I was in Hastings on the south coast last year there was as many French as English stations on the FM band..
Old 03-08-2017, 07:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

In the old TV DXer times some over hear had multi mode sets.
Europe was often seen. IIRC it takes 2 long sporadic E hops
to make it. Also on AM at the coast Euro, Africa &
the Mid-East stations are common at sundown. You do need a
tunable radio to get the 9 K splits used in Europe.

73 Zeno
LFOD !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
Back in the late 60's when England still used VHF for TV I was trying to watch BBC1 on channel 4 (low band) from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter about 40 miles away, the picture was obliterated by co-channel interference from European stations via sporadic E. I tried other channels & on ch 3 (I think) a strange snowy picture appeared with no sound, it was 2 elongated pictures side by side with a black line down the middle. This was a 405 lines TV set & the only station in the world that used that system on low band was BBC1. I carried on watching & an ident came on, it was ORTF from France. France used 819 lines on low band & 819 is just over double 405, that would explain the black line down the middle. When the 625 lines low band Euro stations came in the 405 lines TV's couldn't resolve a picture & the screen was just a pulsating mess.

I very often get European FM radio stations coming in, even in perfect stereo. When I was in Hastings on the south coast last year there was as many French as English stations on the FM band..
Audiokarma
Old 03-12-2017, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those multisystemsets were great into the eighties. Had a JVC with pal/secam/ntsc with a Toshiba jug from '84..Nice, bright pix.. shame I didn't attempt DX'n on it at the time.

I often switch on my old sets with an aerial. Only to " check " on possible xmissions. It is interesting to note the apparent celltower signals in the form of banded-lines, in the now occupied band of Ch. 69 + up..
Old 03-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Resident Lunatic

My father remembers picking up WJBK on occasion at a relative's house in Cheboygan, Michigan. This would have been the late 50s, early 60s. 240 miles LOS distance. Not too shabby.