Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sunday morning programming

I notice most stations have traditionally aired politcal commentary programming on Sunday mornings. For years my parents have watched Sunday Morning on CBS, but always turn the channel when Face the Nation starts.

I wonder why stations have aired these types of programming on Sunday morning and what group(s) they are geared toward?

Other than the major networks, most channels seem to air their typical paid programming and syndicated shows at this time. It seemed to me that Saturday morning is the better of the two weekends for airing stuff that people would watch. Therefore, I figured that Saturday was a more prime TV viewing time than Sunday.

Of course there is also the possibility that Sunday is a time when a lot of people either sleep in or go to church or possibly doing some activities with family, and therefore wouldn't be likely to watch TV.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

I remember Wonderama on old WNEW ch5 NYC back in the 1970's.Now I just watch my eyelids until 10.30 in the morning.I dont waste my time with the P talk shows anymore either since they are biased one way or the other and full of crap.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:53 PM
M is for Memory

Much of the network Politicrap has lousy ratings so they probably place it at low viewership time slot so only those that REALLY care to watch it actually do.

Just musing here, but seemingly the vast majority of those shows seem to lean left and the left seems to be have the biggest beef with religion, so perhaps they play it then to incentivize people to skip church, and or so the more faithful don't watch their political message...But that is probably me trying to read way too much into it...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-16-2017, 01:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt89 View Post
It seemed to me that Saturday morning is the better of the two weekends for airing stuff that people would watch. Therefore, I figured that Saturday was a more prime TV viewing time than Sunday.
You can't mess with the Saturday morning kids programming that most of us have grown up with. It's tradition. A chance to get your kids out of the way so adults can do their work around the house.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Sunday morning political shows are, on their face, a public service. To me, really, they are a way for the networks to court favor with politicians (of all stripes). It's unlikely that a congressman will come down too hard on a broadcaster when they're willing to give him some time on the air. While ratings may be low, certain advertisers are quite willing to buy ads knowing the type of people who will be watching. Over the years, ADM & GE have been major advertisers.

Something of a political junkie myself (and former small time politician), I have often been known to spend my entire Sunday afternoon listening to C-SPAN radio & their weekly simulcast of all the morning shows. My wife thinks I'm totally nuts...
Old 04-17-2017, 12:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
You can't mess with the Saturday morning kids programming that most of us have grown up with. It's tradition. A chance to get your kids out of the way so adults can do their work around the house.

Yes .I do remember Saturday mornings.They were great.Also enjoyed those Christopher Glenn CBS In The News segments.

From 1980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usoy9_QJNDo

1985 promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EhjMogAOws

Those of you did not remember Wonderama with Bob McAllister or not born yet.Heres a complete show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lOhlpbzHkU
Old 04-17-2017, 12:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
The Sunday morning political shows are, on their face, a public service. To me, really, they are a way for the networks to court favor with politicians (of all stripes). It's unlikely that a congressman will come down too hard on a broadcaster when they're willing to give him some time on the air. While ratings may be low, certain advertisers are quite willing to buy ads knowing the type of people who will be watching. Over the years, ADM & GE have been major advertisers.

Something of a political junkie myself (and former small time politician), I have often been known to spend my entire Sunday afternoon listening to C-SPAN radio & their weekly simulcast of all the morning shows. My wife thinks I'm totally nuts...
Yes .You got a point there Bryan.I do enjoy the field myself.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Have not watched Sun morning TV lately but a couple of times I had the set turned on and found alot of infomercials on at that time before the nets come on with their Sunday morning P talk shows and some infomercials after the network shows until network sports comes on.Its really ruining it for the syndicated shows .I do enjoy some of those Time Life music collection infomercials with the oldies music .
Old 04-17-2017, 07:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Just musing here, but seemingly the vast majority of those shows seem to lean left and the left seems to be have the biggest beef with religion, so perhaps they play it then to incentivize people to skip church, and or so the more faithful don't watch their political message...But that is probably me trying to read way too much into it...
That's an interesting theory, I never thought about that really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post

I don't really see as much Saturday morning kids programming these days as when I was younger. In the last couple of years, most of the networks other than FOX seem to have gone toward airing infomercials during most of the morning. And of course PBS still airs kid's programming but not as much on the weekends as during the week. We had a thread while back where it was questioned how stations get around the E/I requirement, and perhaps it is because of the subchannels that air kid's programming 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
While ratings may be low, certain advertisers are quite willing to buy ads knowing the type of people who will be watching. Over the years, ADM & GE have been major advertisers..
Though I rarely watch TV then, I have noticed that too about the commercials. Usually I see GE, and investment companies like Charles Schwab advertising during then, as well as rheumatoid arthritis commercials. I never really see these types of ads other than then only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Have not watched Sun morning TV lately but a couple of times I had the set turned on and found alot of infomercials on at that time before the nets come on with their Sunday morning P talk shows and some infomercials after the network shows until network sports comes on.Its really ruining it for the syndicated shows .I do enjoy some of those Time Life music collection infomercials with the oldies music .
Yeah, pretty much everybody has gone toward infomercials during the early morning hours, and even networks airing them in the afternoons until their sports specials come on. Syndicated showings and afternoon movies seem to become a thing of the past... I guess it's because of the benefit they get from airing infomercials.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Speaking of weekends, and this a little off topic, but why is NBC the only network that seems to do the local news at noon on Saturdays? It's always been that way and I always wondered why that was. I haven't thought of the possibility that others do Saturday evening and they don't, not sure about that.
Audiokarma
Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like to know how stations meet their E/I requirement quota with all their other programs airing all the time.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:42 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

It's interesting to note that these broadcasters who are always advocating "eco-friendliness" and the need to reduce carbon footprints, blah, blah, blah see no hypocrisy in operating their enormous power-consuming transmitters 24/7 broadcasting endless scam infomercials to make $$$.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:16 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
It's interesting to note that these broadcasters who are always advocating "eco-friendliness" and the need to reduce carbon footprints, blah, blah, blah see no hypocrisy in operating their enormous power-consuming transmitters 24/7 broadcasting endless scam infomercials to make $$$.
Most people that are promoting green are either doing so to collect green or unknowingly loosing their green...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-18-2017, 10:26 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I remember back in the olden days we'd get home from Sunday school and church, turn on the old Zenith and watch "Industry On Parade". An early predecessor of "How It's Made".
Old 04-18-2017, 04:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post

Also add garbage reality shows too.Could do without either.

Plus 4 minute ad blocks too.

Wonder why less people are watching TV these days.
Audiokarma