Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Administrator

A once in a lifetime find: a rare Victor Electrola....

Snowed like hell today in Buffalo, so figured I'd venture out to a couple estate sales.

The second and last estate sale I went to today (it was just too snowy and the roads were REALLY bad) was at a house in the very rich, very old section of the city, I later found out that the woman in the house lived to be just over 100 when she recently passed.

Today's find at that sale was this Victor Electrola model VE10-69E. This one was made in 1928, and cost $850, which translates into $11,400 in today's dollars. Something that you didn't spend on a record player unless you were a captain of industry! Only 1,900 of this model were ever made. I can't find anything on the 'net about them, other than a page on the victor-victrola site that has this set at 3 stars out of 4 for rarity.

According to that site, this machine is worth between $500 and $3,000+.

It's missing the tonearm, platter, and motor but is otherwise complete and original....speaker and amplifier haven't been touched since new. It was sitting across from a beautiful Steinway upright piano that wasn't for sale.

Does ANYone know anything about the Electrolas, or know anyone who has this or a very similar model, by chance? At this stage in the game, I'm not sure what to do with it, but after 4 hours of cleaning it, it has me absolutely captivated......the last picture shows it presently after careful cleaning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3635.jpg (70.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3632.jpg (94.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3629.jpg (100.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3636.jpg (66.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3637.jpg (82.8 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3645.jpg (100.7 KB, 51 views)