Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

NeedSome Help, guys...

I am the proud Daddy of a Rohde & Schwarz EK-07. These are a general coverage, SW set from Germany, they were made from C. 1956-'73. We THINK there were only 1000 or so produced, they cost the German gov't the equivalent of $6000 each. Some have called it the BEST radio of its type ever made, they almost make an R-390 style set look like a carnival play pretty in comparison. I'm on the hunt for an owner's/operators manual, THEY are even harder to find than the radio itself. I'm hoping one of youse guys might have an English language version laying around somewhere in yr copious"junque " drawer.. I'd be ETERNALLY in yr debt,if you DO have one,& would share.. I'd prolly reward someone w/a reasonable commission...- Danke Schoen,Sandy
Old 08-10-2017, 12:50 PM
M is for Memory

Have you tried emailing the folks at the bottom of this web page?
http://www.jamminpower.com/main/EK07.html

Supposedly one will sell copies of the English translation.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Never have tried that...Even tried calling R&S, they claim not to have manuals going back that far.(Likely their most famous product, & they don't support it ? Most Un-German...) I think you can still get parts for virtually any Mercedes ever made.. Luckily, the EK-07 is built rather like a Panzer tank, & doesn't need much TLC...That, & we're spoilt by the quantity/quality of info on any version of any R-3XX...
Old 08-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Have tried to contact Dr Moorer, &,Of Course, his e-mail address won't work. Just LOVE the "Magic Lantern" aspect of e-mail, except of course when it gets "The Studs", & refuses to work...
Old 08-11-2017, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Ya mean like when we tried to contact you for the last few months?
Old 08-12-2017, 08:02 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Touche'...Yeah,sumpin like that. As long as I've been a member of either AK or VK, someone shoulda had my home phone number.. Pretty sure I've never had any phone number or physical address blocked/restricted.. I've had on a few occaisions. t he city library to my home has sent folks to my homeguys wanted to" Talk Turkey" about radio,TV
Old 08-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I well & TRULY appreciate you fellers diggin' upp laces to get my admidtiitally obscure manualsf for my EK-07. My Sweet,Loving Computer decided it didn't like ANY of 'em at all, so I'm basically back at Square One... Chicka Boom, Chicka Boom, donchajes LOVE IT ?!? Would ANY ONE ELSE ever fancy planting one of yr biggest, heaviest steel-toed work boots up L'il Billy Gates' posterior just for the Hell of it, or am I the only one who's Psychotic enuf to admit it ?!? (Grin)
Old 08-24-2017, 12:49 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I well & TRULY appreciate you fellers diggin' upp laces to get my admidtiitally obscure manualsf for my EK-07. My Sweet,Loving Computer decided it didn't like ANY of 'em at all, so I'm basically back at Square One... Chicka Boom, Chicka Boom, donchajes LOVE IT ?!? Would ANY ONE ELSE ever fancy planting one of yr biggest, heaviest steel-toed work boots up L'il Billy Gates' posterior just for the Hell of it, or am I the only one who's Psychotic enuf to admit it ?!? (Grin)
Yeah, when Windows 10 makes one of those "big brother says we're shutting your computer down for updates in ~10 minutes come hell or high water" when I have over 10 minutes worth of backing up/saving of open stuff to do I'd sorta like to kick some but....The creators update filling my C partition, and making my system run like crap for a week till I could sneak a few hours time to set it straight was another of those moments....

Part of me wants to go back to windows 7 (I still can if I want because of backup drive images).

Bottom line with computers if you can't work on them, find someone who can...Like tube TVs they can only go so long before something breaks.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

post #7_Amen,uncle sandy. Tom.J
Old 08-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

It seems that so often if I wanna send a message, my operating system don't wanna "Gee & Haw" w/the OS other people have, so everything comes to a screechin halt.... Gotta LOVE this chit....Arrrrrgh!!!!.....! (grin)
Old 08-27-2017, 04:14 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Decided to run my EK-07 this afternoon, & the EK decided to DIE, & its deader than 4 o'clock on a Tuesday afternoon... R-389 is pullin' The Studs, too. Half a mind to load all these friggin' things up, & let the Garbage men come get 'em.BIG FUN wrasslin' one of these Gigantor dudes around. EVERYTHING about these Dudes is a VERY Big Deal. The R-389 is the liteweight of the bunch, at a mere 85 lbs. When these Bad Boiz are hitting on all 8, there's NOTHING to beat them, but if they develop a case of the Sniffles, you basically wanna climb up the highest mountain you have & jump off it...
Old 08-28-2017, 10:14 AM
M is for Memory

Yup, those things are shot, best to mail 'em to me for proper disposal, Grin.

Before you get(/give the trash men) a hernia hauling em to the curb, perhaps you could get your repair guy to take a look at them, or give some fellow enthusiasts a chance at buying them off of you.

It would be a same to can those.....Otherwise 50 years from now how are cruise ships going to keep from drifting with their engines off?

I'd probably be sad if those things got canned. I've owned some moderate tube count Halicrapper's sets that would really sing on a few feat o' lamp wire...Probably a decent match for a good modern mid to high end portable with 1000X more electrical complexity. One day I gotta get my long wire strung and hook some of my midget anchors to it. I gotta finish up my National HRO-50, and start on my 'new' Hammerlund (think it is an HQ-129 or one o' it's ilk) that I scored 'round 3 weeks back....Need some more time n money though*. Even those sets that hold 'best chit' status in my collection probably (on their best morning after eatin' their spinach'n'such) don't come up knee high to your 390 and road'n'schwartz before they've had their mornin' coffee.

*With buy'n a winter SUV that needs tires'n'stuff I've been church mouse poor for the last month...I haven't even had the fiscal gut's to buy me a $25 cheap shineese ham TX/RX and the $25 wort of doodads it needs to be it's best....I need to find time to round up and sell a chunk o my junque....I've bought so much in the last year that some of my rooms I can practically jump into and swim around in tube equipment like Scrooge McDuck swims in gold coins.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Call me weird, but I like my NC-183D better than my R-390. Although for HF QSO'ing where you really have to know what frequency you're on.....you just can't beat the dial scale on an R-390.

I have an HRO-60, and honestly I don't really care for it at all.....I can't put my finger on why. I really like my National NC2-40D, but you'll go blind trying to figure out where you are on that tiny damn dial.

What coils ya got with that HRO, Tom? I have an AC coil that I can't see myself ever using.....
Old 08-28-2017, 01:45 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
What coils ya got with that HRO, Tom? I have an AC coil that I can't see myself ever using.....
I've got the standard set of 4 (A-D). I'd really like to find E and F coils (AM broadcast band) someday.

According to the 'frequency ranges' section of this page: http://www.radioblvd.com/National%20HRO.htm 'AC' (15M ham band) falls within the range of 'A'. I've not finished my HRO yet (was recapped but needs some troubleshooting and odds and ends dealt with), but I'm curious: Is there a meaningful advantage in having an AC coil if you already have an A? I'd imagine having the 15M band spaced out over the whole dial with AC has advantages in tuning convenience, but is it really that much trickier to tune 15M on A to make AC worthwhile?

Old 08-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Those E and F coils get pretty pricey.....

The only advantage to the narrow bandspread coils is if you're using your HRO as a receiver coupled with a transmitter. If you've only got an inch or at most two to tune a whole ham band when you're trying to receive a station, it gets harder to dial in because a millimeter off and you've lost your station.

As far as what's even going on, on 15m....I have no idea. I haven't been able to talk there till yesterday