Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

9" Motorola Portable questions

Hey guys,

I have a TV exactly like this one: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113479404114

I was curious if anyone knew when this model came out? I have some vintage computing equipment and was hoping the equipment doesn't predate the TV.

The second question is a little more strange. The TV powers up and operates fine... but it has this... funky smell. It's not a burning or something's on fire smell.. just... unpleasant.. like dirty socks. Doesn't seem to change intensity the longer the TV runs. Should I be worried?

Many thanks!
Old 01-20-2019, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sets is from abt 1968. I had one in the olden days. Used it under
the dash of my '72 Toronado https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YEVmUJgJ9c then later built it into my bed. VERY
well made & good running set.

Smell may be just dust but I would open it & see if anything is too hot to
touch. Also run it in the dark & look for arcing around the HV.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-20-2019, 01:43 PM
Administrator

The smell is probably old cigarette funk, people smoked like mad back then and it got into everything, even 60 year old sets can still have the smell.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:46 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

It's funny- Cigarette smoke now makes me basically gag & choke, but the smell of Burley Tobacco curing in the barn is one of the more pleasant smells I know of. When we'd "Grade" it-work it off around Thanksgiving--THAT was always pleasant as well.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:20 AM
Местное и дх радио

I have a blue one. made September 1967.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
It's funny- Cigarette smoke now makes me basically gag & choke, but the smell of Burley Tobacco curing in the barn is one of the more pleasant smells I know of. When we'd "Grade" it-work it off around Thanksgiving--THAT was always pleasant as well.
Yup nothing like that smell, even most non smokers like it. And Burly smells
good when smoked straight in a pipe. When I go to the tobaccy store I dont want to leave. Grab a big cigar & hang around & smoke it with the guys.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-21-2019, 11:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falter View Post
Hey guys,

I have a TV exactly like this one: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113479404114

I was curious if anyone knew when this model came out? I have some vintage computing equipment and was hoping the equipment doesn't predate the TV.

The second question is a little more strange. The TV powers up and operates fine... but it has this... funky smell. It's not a burning or something's on fire smell.. just... unpleasant.. like dirty socks. Doesn't seem to change intensity the longer the TV runs. Should I be worried?

Many thanks!
The Epay set is a lot newer model, probably from the early '70s, Made in Taiwan. Good set, just the same.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks guys.

The reason I ask on the date is I have this vintage machine called a TV Typewriter, and it dates to 1973/1974. I also have some computer gear from a company called SWTPC, and they actually used this exact model of TV in their advertising, like here: http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/Catalog1976CP/Page26.jpg

So I know it's period appropriate for the latter equipment, which came out in 1975, for sure. I just don't know if it reaches back far enough for the former in 73/74. I've been looking all over the thing for anything with a date code but no luck. I love the look of it though. It certainly looks the part of early 70s. I don't want to sound hopelessly picky - just, this is for an historical display and it's important to me to have a TV that would have been around when this TVT was out.

Yeah come to think of it, that smoking smell makes sense. I'm a IT person by trade and have sometimes helped individuals out with their home computers. Some of these people were smokers, and the interior of the PC had a thin layer of what I assume is tar or something similar in there. It was awful. Stunk to high heaven when you fired them up. The TV doesn't have quite such a smoky smell but yeah.. it's got the same sort of foulness. Like burnt toejam.

I'm a little bit afraid to taking this thing apart -- brittle plastic and such. Also have gotten 'bitten' a couple times by CRTs. Not the most painful thing ever - felt more like deep muscle pain after you've been vaccinated. But not pleasant, and I don't want to push my luck!

Last edited by Falter; 01-21-2019 at 11:36 AM.