Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Administrator

"Vintage" Hitachi Plasma spotted

Well it looked a few years old at least and the HD 1080 logo seemed a bit dated, very clean though.

Don't know if it worked, at $199 I didn't care, not going to buy it, but it had a blue pilot light showing.

Here's a horrible Cel Phone picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitachiplasma.jpg (9.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 PM
M is for Memory

Looks like it is at a thrift shop. Poor thing...Just working, being HD, and a reasonable screen size ain't enough for folks anymore...It just has to be the biggest screen that costs less than a Mercedes, and be 3D.

While my spoiled generation and those slightly older shell out big bucks to get the latest and greatest every 1-4 years and max out their credit in the process, I'll have spent maybe a couple hundred bucks at max to maintain my fleet of delta gun CRT sets and get no less enjoyment out of watching TV then them....Suckers!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Administrator

It is at a Thrift, it probably cost $5000 or more new also, if it was $50 I might consider it out of curiosity.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 PM
"Book em Dano!"

That is from around 2006-2007. Probably 720p/1080I. Ysus boards are pricey when they go tits up and they always do eventually if not already. Blue pilot light does not mean anything unless you can actually see it working.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
That is from around 2006-2007. Probably 720p/1080I. Ysus boards are pricey when they go tits up and they always do eventually if not already. Blue pilot light does not mean anything unless you can actually see it working.
After my last experience trying to fix a Plasma I think i'll stay far away.
Audiokarma
Old 09-08-2012, 12:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wait, 2006-2007 is vintage?

And the 2008 LCD I gave to my Dad I still consider new, despite me needing to replace the logic board and several capacitors.. (Samsung denied replacement of the parts, and when I replaced it on my own, THEN the freakin class action lawsuit came out.. I was ineligible because I'm not authorized).
Old 09-08-2012, 12:43 AM
"Book em Dano!"

A ten year old TV is ancient nowadays, especially plasma. PDP panels in older sets do not age well. Resale value is the pits on TV's a few years old. I have 2 Sony LCD sets, one from 2007(1080P 120Hz) and one from 2008, also 1080p 120. They have great pictures, as good as anything out there and both were free. both cheap to repair. I got lucky since I have two models with the screens than DONT go bad. Very common on Sonys from 2006-2009 depending on model of course. Samsung is not far behind in the screen dept. Sony uses Samsung screens in most models. Plasma's are expensive to repair mainly due to Ysus and Zsus boards going bad. I've seen some sets with bad Y, Z and power supply's. Those don't get repaired, straight to the dumpster. I'm fighting 2 LG made 50" Plasma's now, both have the same ysus problems.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

You want luck with a Sony, I have a 55A2000 I bought new in '06. They discontinued the entire SXRD technology because of reliability problems with the A2000s (and a resulting class action suit), but mine's still working perfectly 6 years later with only a bulb change.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Breaking records is good?

If it were nearly free to throw a $50 board and a couple of caps at it isn't a bad deal when you start filling spare rooms with TVs. I garbage picked a Gateway EDTV a bunch of caps later its been working for two months and looks perfectly fine. Some brands hold up better, I've got an even older NEC in the garage still humming along. The LGs you can replace the STKs yourself if you're ambitious but check the reason for the failure. Its likely bad caps and or heat. If its working now and a couple of years old tear it apart. The Gateway I pictured here had many domed Samwha caps. Lousy caps up against heatsinks, wonderful idea. Funny thing was it was the "gold series" ones on the power supply that were worse than the standard ones. I used what are likely counterfeit Nippon Chemicons or something along those lines from China but price was my primary concern, in all honest I really didn't need this TV (as you can see I hooked it up as a gaming monitor and my son was playing games on it when I snapped the pic), I just was curious as to whether it was garbage ready, which it wasn't. This one is supposedly impossible to fix, but really wasn't too bad.

I've also got a Samsung I got from a garage sale with a bad power supply that I fixed, notorious problem for the model. Costs maybe $25 to fix, $50 to have someone do the board for you.

I've got a Maxent that needs a Y-sus board but haven't gotten to that one yet.

The Hitachi sets were ALiS panels, which I believe were a Hitachi/Fujitsu joint venture.

I wouldn't sink a boatload into one unless it was a Pioneer Kuro or something, but if its at curbside I'd take a gander or $25 at a thrift perhaps.

All depends on how cheap you can find parts and how ambitious you are, if you're willing to repair the boards outright. If its multiple boards gone I'd say forget it, but those STKs are like $35 for those Y-sus boards, just a boatload of soldering involved. Cooling definately should be investigated, and again, check those caps, especially if its loaded up with questionable weird brands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (49.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 PM
I need more vintage!!

Just looking at how people are calling A/V that's 5-10 years old "vintage" now. Vintage A/V used to mean 25-60 years old (from my understanding anyway). My how things have changed.
Audiokarma
Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance88 View Post
Just looking at how people are calling A/V that's 5-10 years old "vintage" now. Vintage A/V used to mean 25-60 years old (from my understanding anyway). My how things have changed.
Note the Quotation marks around the word Vintage, it was a tongue in cheek statement.

Then again considering the rapid evolution of the technology it might be considered vintage by some.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Does Hitachi plasma have a good reliability record?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hello I rather wacth a roundie or a black and white set than to have an HD I have a samsung 50 inch plasma the only good thing about it is you can watch metv without a converter..box... Timothy
Old 11-18-2012, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I'm actually in the market for an early 4:3 Pioneer plasma display like the PDP-V401.
There was one of those on CL recently, I think it was super cheap, like $45 or so. If it pops back up, I'll let you know. It's been on and off CL for months.
Audiokarma