Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Motorola Minion

21FKP22 Sylvania safety glass question

After breaking the safety glass on an RCA 21FJP22 (65-39 date) doing my first REAL cataract removal, I needed to make a corneal transplant from a much more tired RCA FJ, which was fully delaminated and has since been installed in a set with external safety glass..

After doing so, I realized there was a half-inch abrasion near the center top of the intended transplant safety glass. I tried buffing it with the Dremel and polishing compound without much improvement. Luckily, I have a 21FKP22 donor but its not the same type glass RCA used. Apparently, Zenith and Sylvania used clear and non-tinted glass, which let more light through at the expense of more defined reflection from room lights, windows, etc.

Before I go any further to remove the glass from the OEM Sylvania tube, I want to see if there is any knowledge of this difference. I have only time and effort to lose because the 21FK is stone-dead.

The Sylvania is the same age as the RCA its transplanting onto, and the slight cataract hints at RCA-style PVA rather than the yellowing gel of most Sylvania and Zenith CRTs. Does this sound right?

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 03-03-2017 at 01:07 PM.