Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony 32" Flat CRT from 2003 Goodwill find

Just got this from my local Goodwill for $10. Model KV-32HS510 32" HD flat CRT- (4:3 ratio) date of 2003 on the back. It's a heavy beast.. The goal is to replace my 24" Sony Wega I've been using for my main set to watch old movies in the living room.
Had a few questions for people familiar with these. It has a DVI input for HD, so it's my first foray into HD and digital video. Am I limited to blue-ray players that have analog sound outputs? I can get a cable to connect a HDMI source to the DVI port on the TV, but that doesn't handle the audio. I would be using the speakers on the TV for sound, or maybe hooking it into my stereo, but I don't own a receiver with digital sound inputs or surround sound (and probably never will since i'm into vintage tube stereo stuff)

Does anyone know if this has a ATSC tuner in it? or is it analog only? (if not, I have a converter box I can use)

Didn't come with a remote, do I need one specifically for this set, or will most early 2000's Sony remotes work? are there functions/menus that can only be accessed with the remote?

Are there any common issues or failure modes with these I might need to be prepared for?

I don't currently have any HD sources, but I would like to get a Roku or Blue-ray soon so I can get Netflix and watch Dr. Who.
I mostly watch Laserdisc or VHS, some Beta and DVDs also. I don't currently watch any TV or cable, just old movies and such.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Administrator

According to Sony the remote for that set is the RM-Y190 though most any Sony Remote will work for the basic functions at least, they were the same for years.

Lots of them on eBay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...-Y190&_sacat=0

It's likely that certain functions are only accessible with the remote, the higher end sets had more functions than could be put on the front panel.

Sony's support site is here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...7752#/howtoTab

I would just get an older BD player or Roku with analog outputs, there are HDMI to analog audio converters available but sometimes such things can introduce lag in the sound and cause lip sync problems.

There might be an older model BD player with streaming video built in but my experience is that the user interface on those is inferior to the Roku.

This Might be worth a try for $35, Amazon will take it back if it doesn't work right, you would need one for each device however, or an HDMI switch.
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium...udio+converter
Old 09-22-2014, 01:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
Just got this from my local Goodwill for $10. Model KV-32HS510 32" HD flat CRT- (4:3 ratio) date of 2003 on the back. It's a heavy beast..
Nice TV, good score at $10! I have one of the slightly earlier ones from 2001, a KV-32XBR450, with the stand, in my collection of Trinitrons which doesn't have the digital functions like DVI input or memory stick picture viewer but will take an HD signal on the component inputs, although I don't recall what the actual resolution is, probably only SD. Heavy as all get out but excellent picture on the good ol' Trinitrons!

The manual for the KV-32HS510 and KV-36HS510 is available on Sony's website at:
https://docs.sony.com/release/409406522X.pdf

Quote:
Had a few questions for people familiar with these. It has a DVI input for HD, so it's my first foray into HD and digital video. Am I limited to blue-ray players that have analog sound outputs? I can get a cable to connect a HDMI source to the DVI port on the TV, but that doesn't handle the audio.
Correct, the HDMI to DVI cable will give you video, and it supposedly does support HDCP, but you need to use the analog RCA inputs below the DVI port for audio.

Quote:
Does anyone know if this has a ATSC tuner in it? or is it analog only? (if not, I have a converter box I can use)
No, it is NTSC analog only.

Quote:
Didn't come with a remote, do I need one specifically for this set, or will most early 2000's Sony remotes work? are there functions/menus that can only be accessed with the remote?
It should speak standard Sony remote codes. On a UEI (Universal Electronics Inc.) universal remote like an Atlas V, it will be code 000 or 0000. Those UEI/URC remotes are absolutely fabulous! If you make the little serial cable you can even add or modify buttons or complete code sets, make macros, all sorts of great stuff! Well worth finding one (or more), they're dirt cheap and you'll probably never go back to another remote.

For more information on these, see the JP1 forums at:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

and UEI's support page for those remotes is at:
http://urcsupport.com/

Any remote with basic Sony codes including a least an enter button and arrow keys should work, though and I believe everything can be accessed from the front panel buttons in a pinch, anyway, unlike some of the <cheap black plastic crap> sets.

Here are some e-bay listing for an Atlas 5 (one of my favorite UEI remotes) like often comes with many Shaw, Charter, Cogeco, Comcast and many other cable co's STBs:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/191336490666
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/351158934791
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/390682725706

If you look inside the battery compartment there's a sticker with the model number, 1055s are mostly what I have, the 1056 lights up and ones with an extra 1 in front (11055/11056) are versions that include learning capability so you can capture codes from another remote, but that's really not a necessary feature if you build yourself a cable and download the software from the JP1 forums.

Last edited by drussell; 09-22-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

HDMI to DVI adapters that include audio either as optical/coaxial digital or analog L/R are available. Those with analog L/R output are a powered converter box rather than a passive adapter as they include a DAC for the analog audio output.

In most cases I've found Sony remote codes (at least for basic functions - power, volume, channel, AV) to be fairly consistent. I've used 20+ year old remotes on relatively recent Bravia LCD sets. The oldest remotes won't do the menus as those sets didn't have them, but the remote from your current Wega set (or something similar) probably will. The exception to this are some of the early pre-Bravia LCD and plasma sets.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great info! thanks guys. I will be reading the manual.. and try out my existing remote. I will probably get a Roku 2 to pair with it, and keep my eye out for a Blu Ray with analog outputs. It was a beast to move...I will probably have to find a sturdier piece of furniture to put it on. Currently use a 1929 Atwater Kent model 55c in a Keil radio table as a TV stand, but this set will be too large for that.
Audiokarma
Old 11-03-2014, 07:07 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

That is a great find for $10! I still have a 32-inch HS-series Trinitron I also found at GW years ago; it ultimately ended up with the seven blinks standby LED issue, which is supposedly corrected by replacing the MCZ3001D chip(s) in the power supply. One day!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

The big problem with the set is the 2 chips in the
power supply. They will go every few years on average.
Be sure if you change them to use sockets, they are a
pain & the board is printed on both sides. Besides that
I saw 1 or 2 flybacks short, nothing else.

I used to have one of these & IMHO it has the BEST pix of
any CRT set & any other type display. IIRC the buttons on the set would run everything, & as said will run off almost any Sony remote.

73 Zeno