Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:05 PM
sampson159

got my coupons and purchased a magnavox unit today. very pleased with the results. i now get all local and hd channels. crystal clear reception and the old rca roundie never looked better!! i will get a zenith box for my chromacolor II. for the 9.00 difference,i am way ahead!!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just used my coupons to buy two Digitalstream DTX9900 converter boxes from RatShack for $59.95 + tax. Wal-Mart had plenty of Magnavox boxes for $49.95; but, knowing they were made by Funai held me back. The Digitalstream is made in China; so, it may not be any better. I connected the box to the BPC sharp TV in the kitchen and I was able to pull in 8 stations with the rabbit ears. The PBS station (WMAW) drops out; but, the transmitter is over 30 miles from my location. I noticed some sound drop out on WTOK; but, playing with the antenna helped that. One thing I don't like is the fact that I have to use two power buttons to turn both the TV and converter on. There is no "all on" button that I can find. But, that's not a big deal. The instructions claim that the box will receive free DTV channels transmitted via CATV. I tried this with the cable; but, the box did not detect any channels.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
The instructions claim that the box will receive free DTV channels transmitted via CATV. I tried this with the cable; but, the box did not detect any channels.
Very few cable systems carry ATSC digital signals as they are originally broadcast over the air. Most all convert them to unencrypted QAM so they can be received by *their* cable boxes, or other QAM capable settops.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:41 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

some cable companies simulcast ntsc and atsc over their lines. Cox and Time warner do it in our area. This way if you have a converter or TV with atsc tuner it will bring it in digital.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't know of any major cable companies that broadcast atsc (8VSB) on their systems. We only use 256 QAM at the company I work for (Time Warner). We take the stations 8VSB signal and send it through our equipment and convert it to 256QAM. Two reasons why we do it that way as noted our digital boxes can only receive QAM and by us using QAM we can almost double the data rate to 38 Mps for each 6Mhz channel. 8VSB can only do about 19 Mps.

On a different note I went to Wal-Mart today and picked up my two converters (RCA DTA800). I also purchased a set of rabbit ears because I don't have an outside antenna at my home. My only problem was they had no idea what to do with the coupons took 15 min before they learned how to process them.

Took me 10 min to get one of them running in my office with my roundie the thing even works well with poor signal levels from the rabbit ears. At my headend we are using a big UHF antenna for our older 8VSB receivers this little thing works much better then the $2000 boxes if only it had a digital output. I hate to say it but this cheap converter really changed my mind about the whole off air digital conversion thing.
Audiokarma
Old 03-10-2008, 06:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

For those waiting for their coupons....I applied, by phone, on Jan. 1st. I received my 2 coupon cards in todays mail. I live in the Los Angeles area.

-Steve D.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

My two coupons arrived today as well, just as I was talking to a friend who got his today. The expiration date of mine is 5/28/2008.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-11-2008, 01:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, i just signed up at the dtv2009 site. my number is up in the 4.3 millions. I wonder how long it will take to get the coupons?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:00 AM
Organist in Residence

I just mailed in the form and started searching for the boxes. My first stop was Rat Shack, the salesman tried to convince me to by a new TV instead saying "That box will do nothing for you, you need a digital set!". Wow what balls!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Mine finally came... I ordered several sets for friends and family, and as far as I know, mine is the first set to come. This week, I'll go poke around and see what boxes are available, and will get one The other coupon of the two, I will use for a second box ONLY IF they let you keep the spent coupon. If they take it, I'll keep the second one as a TV collectible.

Charles
Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Had a salesperson tried to convince me to buy a new TV, I would have probably told him a thing or two and walked out empty handed.

The only problem I had at RatShack was the salesperson had to call her supervisor for instructions on how to do the coupons. She rang each box up seperate and she kept both of the coupons.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fixer View Post
Well, i just signed up at the dtv2009 site. my number is up in the 4.3 millions. I wonder how long it will take to get the coupons?
Most people who are getting their coupons now signed up on the first day of the program, January 1, so it took 3 months to get them. It will probably be much faster for you, but I would guess still at least a month.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-11-2008, 03:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Stopped in at a local Radio Shack today. They have the Zenith boxes for $60.00. I assume they charge sales tax on the $60.00. So my out of pocket w/coupon would be around $25.00 per box. I understand the Insignia box at B.B. is the same as the Zenith. Is it selling for less?

-Steve D.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

My coupons came last week. I just bought a Magnavox converter at Wal-Mart and ended up paying $13.

Steve
Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

We are not required to keep the coupons. You can just swipe them like a debit or credit card and keep it. You do not even have to give it to the cashier.

Bill R
Audiokarma