Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Curmudgeon

Does anyone still make TV's with the old fashioned drum type tuners?

I've got an 84 year mom with, let's just say, problems, grasping new technologies and cannot operate even the simplist remote control or more modern push button operated stuff.

If it doesn't have a "twist" type tuner and a simple potentiometer, she cannot, will not, no way, no how be able or willing to attempt it.

Her 30 something year old Emerson 19" is on it's last legs and she's gonna need something to keep what's left of her mind occupied.

And, before saying teach her, don't think we haven't tried many times and many ways. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

thanks in advance
Old 01-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Banned

MarkW,

I am quite sure the mechanical tuners have all disappeared from any new production. I would suggest looking for a used solid state color set from the 70's. I suspect you easiest find will be a portable up to say 19". Ebay is a good place to look I think. Also just look in the local phone book and call TV repair shops. You might find one that the owner or tech would be glad to give you to make space, or at the most charge you perhaps $20. Of course you don't want one that needs repairs. Stay away from a tube TV as the maintenance will be an unwanted issue in your situation.

Rob