Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Convergence freak!

Im not sure if Panasonic was using ball grid array around the time your plasma was manufactured. I know that Samsung, and LG did, but I have a Maxent Plasma, (panasonic guts) that uses a pin configured IC. Not BGA. I reflowed with a clean soldering iron across the pins with a little flux. Worked like a charm. Did two of them. Had the same symptoms yours is giving, and lockup upon using the remote too and wouldnt turn off
Old 04-09-2012, 03:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
BGA soldering has to be the worst thing to happen to electronics reliability and repairability. At best, it's extremely susceptible to damage from flexing, and thermal cycling, and things are even worse with the move toward higher ball densities, lead free solder, and hotter running chips. I've had some luck reflowing older, larger ball BGA chips with lead solder, but the newer, smaller ones are almost impossible. If they couldn't get a lasting connection in the factory under ideal conditions with fresh parts, then a reflow is unlikely to last. Chronic failure means that the design simply puts too much stress on the solder balls.
I think of BGA rework as sort of a "black art" and i've been doing it for 16yrs. now for both commercial and military customers alike
I'm still surprised even to this day i haven't gone insane yet!

"IPC 610 Class E & J STD-001 Certified"
Old 04-14-2012, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:14 PM.