Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Motorola Minion

New Digital channel 4 in South Jersey

Yesterday, I hoisted up a Channel Master 1160, the biggest VHF-UHF antenna of the "Quantum" line, and pulled in a NEW channel, 4-1 WACP showing an infomercial.
Being 75 miles away, it was a bit shaky and had one subchannel 4-2, unused.
TVFool.com listed it as a 10 kW, sharing the WNJS 23 tower.

This is quite odd since there have been no NEW channels in this area since all existing ones went digital and using channel 4 is even stranger yet since low band VHF is rarely used due to e-skip.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 12-06-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: distance verified
Old 12-03-2012, 03:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

How does your reception of WACP compare to WNJS? The coverage map on the FCC site shows more coverage area for WACP, but I find that very difficult to believe, considering the difference in power levels.

jr
Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
This is quite odd since there have been no NEW channels in this area since all existing ones went digital and using channel 4 is even stranger yet since low band VHF is rarely used due to e-skip.
The station displays 4-1, but likely it is on some other channel. Were you able to find that out?

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
How does your reception of WACP compare to WNJS? The coverage map on the FCC site shows more coverage area for WACP, but I find that very difficult to believe, considering the difference in power levels.

jr
WACP was recieved a few days ago but has not been seen since. The same time, I tried WNJS 23 virtual, 22 physical and got nothing. I have dx'd WNJS on occasion but normally its a no-show. The WNJS antenna is at 964 feet above sea level but Philadelphia transmitters up at least 1300 feet ASL, all in one small area and 17 miles closer. Most stations formerly in nearby DE and NJ have moved thier antennas to the NW Phila location. 10 kW on a low band VHF channel is about average, but on UHF 20 times the power is needed. UHF propagation seems much less affected by weather.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
The station displays 4-1, but likely it is on some other channel. Were you able to find that out?
Yes, here is something interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WACP

The low band VHF channels 2, 4 and 5 have been vacated by NYC and Baltimore-DC. Then the FCC alloted channel 4 in South Jersey and 5 in Southern Delaware. These are very flat, wooded areas where UHF is tough unless you get above the trees.

WACP had been around nearly 6 months, but I had no idea until I installed my largest antenna, a Channel Master 1160 connected to the CM 7777 preamp.

About 8 years ago, a good friend in the business sold me my Samsung SIRT451 set-top box and predicted we would still need the largest broadband VHF-UHF antennas. Until recently, I was sure that low-band VHF was being largely abandoned with only a few exceptions.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 12-06-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

WACP NJ ATLANTIC CITY USA (Digital)

Licensee: WESTERN PACIFIC BROADCAST LLC
Service Designation: DT Digital television station

Transmit Channel: 4 66 - 72 MHz Licensed
Virtual Channel: 4 (viewer sees this channel number)

Network affiliation: -

File No.: BLCDT-20120621ABY Facility ID number: 189358
CDBS Application ID No.: 1503217

39° 44' 5.00 " N Latitude 74° 50' 29.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)

Polarization: Horizontal (H) Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 10. kW ERP Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: 256. meters HAAT -- Calculate HAAT Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 285.3 meters AMSL Antenna Height Above Ground Level: 251.8 meters AGL TV Zone: 1 Non-Directional Antenna ID No.: 107239 Pattern Rotation: 0.00
Antenna Make: JAM Antenna Model: JHD-LV2-3/3 (18) SR

Additional Individual Tower Information from the Antenna Structure Registration database.
(Use the Registration Number link for detailed information.)

ASRN Site Elevation (meters) Overall HeightAbove Ground(meters) Overall HeightAbove Mean SeaLevel (meters) NAD 83 Tower Coordinates----------------------------------------------- Convert toNAD 27 Latitude Longitude 1042989 35.9 284.0 319.9 N 39° 44' 4.0" W 74° 50' 27.0" To NAD27
Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Link to service contour map:

http://maps.google.com/?q=http://tra...26state=NJ.kml
Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Until recently, I was sure that low-band VHF was being largely abandoned with only a few exceptions.
I thought so too, I am very surprised that a NEW station is going to be on low VHF. All of the newer outdoor TV antennas I have seen for sale are missing elements long enough for those channels, in fact.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."