Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Early '60's Magnavox tube console stereo

This is an example as to why patience and staying on top of the game pay off.

Years ago, I first saw this stereo at flea market "A"; but, unfortunately, it had a ludicrous price ($225, IIRC) on it. After it sat there for months, I offered $50. They passed my offer to the vendor and it was turned down.

It sat there for a year or two before it made it's way to flea market "B." By that time, it had been marked down to $175. After months at that price, it came down to $150. I again tossed a $50 offer at them. I know the owner of this flea market and he said there was no need in even calling the vendor because she is the type who won't negotiate and that she got real bitchy when they knocked $5 off of something of hers, just to get it out the door.

Eventually, it came down to $75 and I've been watching it for months. Two weeks ago, he told me that she was having a 20% off sale (OK, we're getting closer to the $50 figure). The other day, they told me that her big stuff was 20% off and her clothes were 30% off; but, if I wanted the stereo, they'd give it to me for 30% off. With tax, I paid $56 and some change for it (close enough to my $50 offer).

Once I got it home, I discovered that it's the version with a stereo PP 6V6-based amp. It has an aux. input and provisions for FM stereo; but, no FM stereo decoder was installed (seems to be the case with most of these that I find). I guess FM stereo was so uncommon back then that most owners didn't feel the need to spring for the cost of the stereo decoder.

When I fired it up, the record changer is non-operational, the FM is bad out of alignment (106.9 comes in at about 98), and AM works OK. Eventually, it will get a full restoration and, no, I will not pull the amp to sell on ebay. I like mathematical progression when it comes to money; but, this one is too nice to part out.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:01 AM
Motorola Minion

$50 is exactly what I would have paid! You must consider the work needed to restore it and that is a very fine unit once you recap it.

Be wary of the 6CA4/EZ81 filament shorting to cathode or better, replace with rectifier diodes to reduce load by one full amp on the filament winding and transformer overall.

Your console shows as model 1ST624 for $279.50 in the 1962 catalog. The "translator" chassis for stereo was an option for all consoles.
Most of the tuners from 1960 onward had a selector position for stereo or multiplex FM, which allowed for an adapter sub-chassis to be added. I have never seen one that was added after the console was sold. Most folks just bought a new console rather than retrofit for stereo.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 03-10-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

50 for a tube Magnavox is pretty good, considering the amp alone would go for at least 2-3 times that on ebay.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
$50 is exactly what I would have paid! You must consider the work needed to restore it and that is a very fine unit once you recap it.

Be wary of the 6CA4/EZ81 filament shorting to cathode or better, replace with rectifier diodes to reduce load by one full amp on the filament winding and transformer overall.

Your console shows as model 1ST624 for $279.50 in the 1962 catalog. The "translator" chassis for stereo was an option for all consoles.
Most of the tuners from 1960 onward had a selector position for stereo or multiplex FM, which allowed for an adapter sub-chassis to be added. I have never seen one that was added after the console was sold. Most folks just bought a new console rather than retrofit for stereo.
It's amazing that the 6CA4 could handle all the current. I have a Magnavox amp using PP 6BQ5's, that uses a 5U4.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was also surprised to see that 6CA4. I've seen the 5U4 in the 6BQ5 version of this amp and I'd think that the 5U4 would be a better alternative in this one.
Audiokarma
Old 03-10-2016, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

The 6CA4 is a better and more modern rectifier than a 5U4 (within ratings), because it's indirectly heated, so you get a much stiffer B+ supply, and less voltage drop. I used one to power an amplifier using 2x 300B output tubes and it is well within its ratings.

Just get an original Philips/Amperex/Mullard tube... I haven't had any failures from original "made in UK" tubes but the RCAs have shorted. It's one of the cases where I would prefer a foreign to a domestic tube.

Last edited by maxhifi; 03-10-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a voice of music amp that is push pull 6aq5 (same as 6v6) that is all powered from a EZ81,(6CA4). used it for years with the factory rectifier tube. Where you usually see a really big rectifier in a console like this, is if the power supply of the amp is also used to supply the tuner chassis as well. I suspect this one has a self powered tuner. I have a Motorola that uses a 3DG4. an I've seen a couple that even use 2 5u4's.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I get a kick out of the tax on this thing. What are the odds that they
report it ? I know a few flea marketers down in Mass & they
never report the 5%. Part of the profit ! In NH no taxes so legit.....
Also surprised at the value of the chassis on the 'Bay. I
guess I will look differantly on old console stereos. Makes me
wonder what my old Fisher tube job is worth.......

73 Zeno
Old 03-16-2016, 09:06 AM
Motorola Minion

According to the Magnavox brochure, this model has the "15-watt" amplifier chassis, which is single 6V6 for each channel. But I think I see four of them.

That should sound real sweet when restored, more so if there is an EV-26 cart on the tonearm.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, it has an EV26; but, I don't know if it's any good. I hope so because these are better cartridges than the new Tetrad and Varco replacements.
Audiokarma
Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Neet score I would never gut a magnificent Magnavox whi ever does that should be horsewhipped I have seven Magnavox hifis and they will stay complete...