Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Got the Crosley!

I posted the other day about a Crosley tv that somebody had on CL near my house.

I emailed her and expressed my interest. She emaled me back and told me that when they got it out, the sides were rotted and it doesn't work anymore, so she took the ad down.

I wrote her back and said I would still be interested in it. I drove over there today and picked it up for $10. It's a model EU-17COL. The cabinet is in very poor condition. I can't decide if I am going to try to save it or part it out. She said it worked when they put it in the basement 25-30 years ago, heh.

So does anybody know anything about this model? I figure it's worth the $10 in parts, heh. It was less than a mile drive too!

Here's what it looks like, before I have done anything to it, fresh out of a basement:

Old 05-27-2011, 02:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

1953. The Sams manual is 193-3.

Looks like a pretty normal 21" 1950s set. Has a power transformer, selenium rectifiers. They put the HV section under the chassis rather than in a cage on top, which to me is a sign of cheapness, but not a big deal.

Clean the cabinet with rags and mineral spirits, and you'll be able to see better what you've got. That buckled veneer may be too far gone to re-glue.

Phil Nelson
Old 05-27-2011, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'd part that one out. You can probably get a beautiful pristine 21" 1950s set for an equally cheap $10 if you keep your eyes out for one.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:29 AM
M is for Memory

If the jug and the fly are good, and you don't mind refinishing(and possibly revenering, etc) that is not a bad set to save.

Tom C.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:44 AM
John Q

I'd be tempted to fix it if the CRT and other major parts were good.
No doubt the restoration of the cabinet and veneer will be a challenge but not impossible. Good Luck
Audiokarma