Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wide screen CRT sets?

Having bought (then screwed up the geometry) on a VERY heavy Toshiba 32" CRT widescreen I'm curious. How did they get convergence to work on a wide flat screen?

It's a strange set; even has a built in cross-hatch generator accessible via the service menu. Plasma was on it's way in; were Toshiba still developing CRT sets, or trying to unload old stock?

The audio amplifier's not at all bad. Hook up a pair of decent speakers and the quality is there. As for weight, forget 80 lb, from the heft of the thing I'd say it's at least double that.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

During the technical demonstrations at various NAB shows, well in advance of any consumer roll-out, all the booths had the wide-screen CRT monitors. Either those or projectors. Pre-color plasma or LCD days. So, someone had to gear up to manufacture hundreds. They might have made the consumer sets out of the "pro" rejects.
Chip
Old 08-11-2012, 03:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
During the technical demonstrations at various NAB shows, well in advance of any consumer roll-out, all the booths had the wide-screen CRT monitors. Either those or projectors. Pre-color plasma or LCD days. So, someone had to gear up to manufacture hundreds. They might have made the consumer sets out of the "pro" rejects.
Chip

Thanks Chip, much appreciated. Back in the 70's Phillips marketed a projector colour TV with a built in screen. To show how fine the picture was their magazine advertising had a close up of a tennis ball hitting the ground at a premier tournament. Not only was this way beyond the resolution of the set, like as not it was beyond the resolution of the cameras.

The ad was quietly pulled..............
Old 08-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

As "recently" as 2003, 42-inch plasma TVs still cost $4000 and up (and that price was for a non-HD, just widescreen set). LCD sets were even more expensive, and had smaller screens. In early 2003, the first "big" LCD TV was a 37-inch 1366x768 Sharp that cost over $7500 and was then available only in Japan. Soon after, NEC had the first 40-inch LCD available as a commercial monitor. Compared to those prices, HD widescreen CRT sets were cheap at $1000-2000, and they fit in then-existing living spaces easier than big flat-screen sets (or big-box projectors) too. Things have changed exponentially since then.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 08-14-2012, 05:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
In 2000 or 2001 I purchased this RCA 38 inch widescreen HDTV CRT color TV. See link below.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/r...-inch-crt-hdtv
Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

If I ever had a lot more room than I have now, I want an F38310 like that.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 08-15-2012, 12:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
If I ever had a lot more room than I have now, I want an F38310 like that.
The most important thing about the F38310 is having something stable to place it on.

This set weighs 268 pounds!

I can certainly vouch for its very good performance. It even has two good 10 watt per channel audio amps with external speaker connections. Also includes full tone controls and audio processing built in.

Cliff
Old 08-16-2012, 10:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
The F38310 came with a matching base with two glass doors. Was a beast to lift, I can also vouch for that. Was the largest wide screen 16X9 color CRT, beat out Sony's 36 inch. Very nice image to.

Last edited by etype2; 08-16-2012 at 10:40 PM.