Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

22" Dynex and 32" Westinghouse flat panel TV's

Today, I was given two flatscreen TV's by a friend, who got them from the estate of a friend of his who passed away.

The Dynex is from 2010 and all I know about the brand is that it was sold by Best Buy. I have no idea who made it. As far as the picture quality, it's not overly impressive; but, if I had no TV to watch, I'd be happy with it. In fact, I think my 1984 Zenith 19" has better color than this set. A while back, I had a similar Dynex that looked the same way.

The other one is a 32" Westinghouse from 2018 and he said that it was bought not long before his friend passed away. I know that it's Westinghouse in name only and I don't know who actually made it. As far as the picture, it looks a lot better than the Dynex.

Right now, they are stashed in the closet for back up, in case one of the flat screen TV's in the house takes a dump. I suppose I could try to sell them; but, when one can buy a low end 32" TV for under $100, I don't think these would bring much, if I could even sell them. A while back, I had an LG that was very similar to the 22" Dynex. I couldn't even get $25 for it and I ended up giving it to one of the flea market guys.

A couple of years ago, the guy at the pawn shop told me that he would not take any TV that was over 2 years old and they had to be a smart TV. He said that people would not buy non-smart TV's or those that were older than a couple of years old.

Things have sure changed since the days when we could drag home just about any old clunker TV, fix it up, and someone would buy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TVs 001.jpg (26.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg TVs 002.jpg (43.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-13-2021, 08:45 AM
Motorola Minion

I freed up two LCDs recently when a larger one became available for the hunting cabin. Both sets are 12 years old.
The Dynex is 19" with built-in DVD player and the Insignia is a 22" with no player.

The biggest difference using these was the OTA reception. Insignia would lock all the few stations available upstate but the Dynex would miss all on a scan, good thing it had a player it was useless as a receiver.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Dynex is most likely a CCFL TV, and will probably last a lot longer than the Westinghouse at this point even though it's a lot older.

The Westinghouse will almost certainly suffer an LED failure. Most of these don't give you the option of throttling down the back light, so they run close to max LED ma.

When I replace LEDs in these newer TVs, I raise the value of the Source resistor to ground on the LED low side driver mosfet. A higher value provides feedback to the controller IC fooling it into thinking more current is being drawn, so it lowers the current.

John
Old 05-18-2021, 07:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Westinghouse probably has a USB jack and will play (some) multimedia files from a flash drive. So, that's a plus.
Samsung and LG are on top. Plenty of parts still available for those. The SMART technology is cool.
I always liked the look of CCFL the best. The LED sets look harsh to me.
Don't think I've ever seen a Dynex.