Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Lets raise a collective toast to that statement.
GE owes alot to Earl"Madman" Muntz, who showed how to do TV with fewer parts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muntzing

While I could always troubleshoot and even get parts, my only beef with GE was that thier damned tuners really sucked in fringe areas. Sarkes-tarzan or something, I thing Mags used them too.
I think that Muntzing thing is a well-worn urban tale. It's a well known fact that every TV manufacturer bought sets from competitors and reverse engineered them. Then they built up a prototype and jockeyed the design around enough as not to get into a patent war. They generally did that on their lower end products.
Regarding distant reception, the tuner is only part of the chain. A well designed IF strip and keyed AGC is equally important. Sarkes Tarzian tuners aren't one of my favourites, but the circuitry was simular to the rest of them.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:41 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

Not too long ago, I had to explain what I meant by the term "Muntzing". Sad what our engineering colleges are now omitting...
Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3XWT View Post
Not too long ago, I had to explain what I meant by the term "Muntzing". Sad what our engineering colleges are now omitting...
"Muntzing" is pretty much the order of the day now for virtually EVERYTHING...
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I grew up with a couple of GE portables-a 60s 19" portable that my aunt & uncle gave to my sisters and I, plus a Portacolor that I bought myself later on. I remember that both worked quite well but eventually the tuners got so weak that the sets were pretty much worthless. Of course, back then I didn't know about weak tubes or dirty tuners. I recall the 'KC' table model I had before the Portacolor had tuner troubles, too.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I grew up with a couple of GE portables-a 60s 19" portable that my aunt & uncle gave to my sisters and I, plus a Portacolor that I bought myself later on. I remember that both worked quite well but eventually the tuners got so weak that the sets were pretty much worthless. Of course, back then I didn't know about weak tubes or dirty tuners. I recall the 'KC' table model I had before the Portacolor had tuner troubles, too.
The tuners were the almost identical, except the tube heater configuration, and the shaft length.
Did your KC have the tuning meter?
Audiokarma
Old 07-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Motorola Minion

Good question about the tuning meter. Such a rare item on any TV
I had a KD, one model year later and that did not have a tuning meter, though the control layout was identical to the KC.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm not 100% sure if the set in question was a KC or KD, I never had it apart. I sure wish I had it back! I'm almost positive that one didn't have the meter but later (in the early 90s) I had another one that did. It was a table model 23v in a wooden cabinet and a pretty weak performer. It was at a used furniture store, sitting atop a Philco-Ford console about the same age. I bought them both; the Philco had a beautiful picture. I kick myself on a regular basis for getting rid of both of those.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I'm not 100% sure if the set in question was a KC or KD, I never had it apart. I sure wish I had it back! I'm almost positive that one didn't have the meter but later (in the early 90s) I had another one that did. It was a table model 23v in a wooden cabinet and a pretty weak performer. It was at a used furniture store, sitting atop a Philco-Ford console about the same age. I bought them both; the Philco had a beautiful picture. I kick myself on a regular basis for getting rid of both of those.
We all did that! I had an RCA and an Admiral B&W table models, that I never was able to replace.
Did your Philco have the tuning eye?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Does anyone know how to determine the manufacture date of a GE Porta Color?

Is it by chassis number or serial number ? Where is the serial number located?

Is the date stamped somewhere on the chassis inside the set?

Fairly certain I found a 66, but want to be sure. Have not opened the cabinet yet. Thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post

Fairly certain I found a 66, but want to be sure. Have not opened the cabinet yet. Thanks
If it's an HC model, it's one of the first production.
To get an idea on the age, you have to look at one of the major components, such as the CRT or tuner. There should be a code date on them.
Audiokarma
Old 12-07-2012, 12:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I replaced the horizontal output tube on a Portacolor about 9 years ago for a friend. His set is one of the ones with the row of controls to the right of the channel selectors.

I didnt touch any alignments. The color was nice and normal looking. The tuner is sensitive, and as of this week, (December 2012,) it's still working. The color and grey scale still look good. It's seen very little service.

Last edited by holmesuser01; 12-16-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I was a kid, after church my grandparents would take us to the Nihan & Martin Pharmacy in my hometown for a treat. They actually had an electronics aisle selling AM/FM's and toasters that we are all now buying for $2 and there it was. A Portacolor.

I had just built my second Knight Kit radio, my other grandparents (the rich ones) had a CTC-7 and I was hooked on television.

At home we had a 17" GE metal case B&W in the den and a 19" B&W Radio Craftsman in the living room. Dad was cheap but I saw the future and it was small and colorful. Portacolors deserve their own place in the tv history. Not great but a sign of things to come.

Currently watching TCM on a GE sorta Portacolor III 9" on top of the fridge...a Japanese (Sanyo ?) that I cannot kill. 1983 date code I remember. Sharp as ever.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
What cost $250 in 1968 would cost $1589.08 in 2012.
Think a low income family could afford that today?

The PortaColor when introduced was not only the first truly portable color TV, but was also the least expensive. Color, of course was a premium product, as compared to black and white. I remember just a couple years before the PortaColor GE offered a very nice little 12" b/w set (available in several case colors) that also used very few tubes, as they were all (mostly) compactrons. I had one of these, and it produced a very nice picture. My dad made me sell this before he would get me a PortaColor which I still have.

So, while $250 was a lot of money, it was still the cheapest way to get a brand new color color set.

Why does "portable color TV" come up as a link to ebay? above? Not my doing.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototone View Post
Why does "portable color TV" come up as a link to ebay? above? Not my doing.
That is an automatic ad-link system used by the forum's owners to help keep this forum free (or donations-only) to use.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-09-2012, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post

There were some minor changes to the sets through the years, that also can narrow down the year of manufacture.

Here's a cool Porta-Color site we may have posted before:
http://www.rwhirled.com/portacolor/
Audiokarma