Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:04 PM
VK Member

Hello, Oldie Newbie Here

Well, this seems to be the forum to get the straight info I need. I am an old guy that hasn't bought a real stereo since the 70's. Back then all you needed was a Kenwood anything and some pioneer speakers, and you had a great outfit that was loud and clear. Not a lot of choices to confuse you either. I have had just a few cheapo stereos since starting a family. Now the kids are gone, I have a little money, and wanted to get a real stereo. Well, Bose Wave systems seem wrong to me, they don't sell good CD players anywhere I have been, and speakers are all box and no soul. I found I have no idea what is good anymore, don't trust any one at any stores I have been to. I would like to get a CD player and some good speakers to start, and maybe build a system as I go along. Anyone have some solid advice? Dayum! Its ruff to be old and out of the loop! Thanks guys.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:57 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmangu View Post
Well, this seems to be the forum to get the straight info I need. I am an old guy that hasn't bought a real stereo since the 70's. Back then all you needed was a Kenwood anything and some pioneer speakers, and you had a great outfit that was loud and clear. Not a lot of choices to confuse you either. I have had just a few cheapo stereos since starting a family. Now the kids are gone, I have a little money, and wanted to get a real stereo. Well, Bose Wave systems seem wrong to me, they don't sell good CD players anywhere I have been, and speakers are all box and no soul. I found I have no idea what is good anymore, don't trust any one at any stores I have been to. I would like to get a CD player and some good speakers to start, and maybe build a system as I go along. Anyone have some solid advice? Dayum! Its ruff to be old and out of the loop! Thanks guys.
We are a spin-off of Audiokarma here, dedicated to TV and radio - glad to have you, but you need to go there for stereo questions:
www.audiokarma.org

good luck!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome to VK!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Not sure how I got here.

you know............. for $18.95 I got a couple of 8" tall 3" wide stereo speakers for my computer rated at 5000 watts........... and its powered by a little 450mw 12v wall plug transformer. Sure kicks the butt of my old 50Watt/ch Pioneer 20lb. stereo with Infinity 2000 bookshelf speakers..... Howtheydothat?
Old 01-08-2011, 12:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

seems your only real issue, tube or SS, I prefer tube and again audio karma will be all over it, but for a quick answer if you are handy with a soldering gun you can get a real nice tube setup for around 300-400 (fisher 400/500) or a kenwood (since you mentioned it). I have a fisher 400 and a kenwood KW-44 I prefer the kenwood for its sensitivity on FM (but that may just be cause the fisher may need alignment), but it was a bear to recap, and it MUST be recaped. the fisher is a lot easier to work on (more room underneath) but you need to check out AK for all the answers.
Audiokarma
Old 01-09-2011, 11:26 AM
VK Member

For a solid state rig with tube sound the consensus seems to be: Marantz