Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

That cabinet is eminently restorable. Looks to be structually sound. Is probably fake veneer so might need a new real veneered top, but you can't tell until cleaned up. I have good luck cleaning cabinets with Orange Goop non-pumice hand cleaner (auto parts stores and Harbor Freight.) It might just come back with that and then some staining and attention to the trim.

I'd pull the tubes on that chassis, put some duct tape over the top of all the coil cans, and scrub and hose it down in the yard with your favorite home spray cleaner, set it in the sun to dry.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

today i think i matched the colors on the bezzel, i know as soon as i start on pot metal bezzel cleaning that corsion off there probley be pit holes and who knows what, i might sand blast it and reshoot it with original colors . i noticed the digital camera shows up the color better than i can see it. does anyone have a picture of what the tv looked like new , i would like to get as close as i can ,even if i have to have the color matched.i was thinking about cleaning it that way and just blow dry it with the compressor ,just stay away from coils and transformers with high pressure air.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

before i can really start on the tv ,i will have put my truck in the garage and replaced the left rear leaf spring i broke the main leaf getting this tv ,rough roads and the truck is only 35 yrs old ,they just dont make them to last. lol
Old 06-08-2012, 12:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

it was a vary BIG zenith ,its just one of those things you put off until it gets worst ,it allready had three crack leafs i just finished it off iv had new springs in the shed since i restored the truck in 04 . i was going to wait till i put the tommy lift on the truck ,guess theres ben change in plans
Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very cool - I'll be following along. What are the model and chassis numbers? I may have documentation and service info I can share.

Mark
Audiokarma
Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM
On Land

Geez... I didn't realize that Zenith would be so heavy!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

PIZZA! I WANT!!!!

Is the CRT original? It doesent look like it is laminating, or is my monitor going bad?!?!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

yeah it looks like its orginal, dam i was really hoping for a rebuild one ,i removed the strap mounting and wiped some dirt off and it still has the lens on it. i took somemore pic's close up. pizza was good and had me a little nap after to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture tube not clean 1.jpg (70.2 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by snelson903; 09-27-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 AM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson903 View Post
yeah it looks like its orginal, dam i was really hoping for a rebuild one.
Why? A rebuilt tube does not necessarily mean it will be a good tube. I used to get excited if I found a tube had been already replaced (rebuild or not) and then end up disappointed that the replacement was no good.

Two years ago, I brought home an 63 Zenith and a 66 CM in the same day. I saw the CRT in the Zenith had been replaced... i think with a late-70's Sylvania tube... it was dead. The Curtis Mathes (which has the instant on feature) had the original tube and tested just fine.

Side note- I've brought home Sylvania round tubes on 3 different occasions... all had 1970's date codes... and they were all no good.

I think the big advantage on CRTs that have been replaced is the situation where the replacement was a better tube (regarding design) than the original. For instance, the 21CYP22 in my CTC9 was replaced with a 21FBP22. The FBP should have better brightness and reds than the CYP.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

yea it checks out ok except the blue gun is weak and compared it between the sencore tester and the b & k the sencore showed alittle stronger but we will see i guess i should remove the lens & pva stuff while its out .knowing my luck once its all together and useing it a caterack will start to show . ill just brake out the sludge hammer and a couple of chissels and pop that lens right off.

Last edited by snelson903; 06-09-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-09-2012, 11:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

probley because i used to get reman picture tubes from a guy that had a tv parts store nere by me, and they never gave me a bit of trouble sometimes i think they were better than new one's i dont know were he got them from but they were priced good and i never had to replace them again .he also was the only suppler for bendix lazer equitment these tubes they used were big and pricy the place was called tv electronic's and there wasnt nothing he couldnt find you.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson903 View Post
yeah it looks like its orginal, dam i was really hoping for a rebuild one ,i removed the strap mounting and wiped some dirt off and it still has the lens on it. i took somemore pic's close up. pizza was good and had me a little nap after to.
That looks like a Zenith branded RCA tube! See if the EIA code is 274 on the labeling. I see the Hi-Lite sticker on it which was the RCA trade name at the time.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 AM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty59 View Post
That looks like a Zenith branded RCA tube! See if the EIA code is 274 on the labeling. I see the Hi-Lite sticker on it which was the RCA trade name at the time.
Good catch on the Hi-Lite sticker, Marty!

Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Mark

I'll look around this weekend, I think I have a spare bezel somewhere with a perfect paint job. If I do, it's yours for postage. I have a control panel too.....or did. Like I said, I'll look in my storage unit for you.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

ok ill still sand it down and paint it just to see how it might turn out , got nothing loose at this point.
Audiokarma