Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Maybe it's the go-to radio for listening while you're at a ball game, or just watching one. But yeah, it's a $10 transistor radio wrapped up in a $130 Amazon Prime cozy.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Several years ago, there was a review (Radio Intel?) comparing this radios dx performance to that of a $700 Icom. Indeed, most of the distant stations that were identified on the Icom could also be heard on the Sony. The point of the review was that a lot of dx fun can be had on the cheap.

Unfortunately, many misinterpreted the review, believing that its performance is as good as the Icom (it is not) and the Sony acquired a bit of a cult following... Indeed, some fool may be inclined to pay the highly inflated price for one of the last remaining new units.

Of course, there are much better pocket radios available today.

jr
Old 05-31-2018, 03:33 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Several years ago, there was a review (Radio Intel?) comparing this radios dx performance to that of a $700 Icom. Indeed, most of the distant stations that were identified on the Icom could also be heard on the Sony. The point of the review was that a lot of dx fun can be had on the cheap.

Unfortunately, many misinterpreted the review, believing that its performance is as good as the Icom (it is not) and the Sony acquired a bit of a cult following... Indeed, some fool may be inclined to pay the highly inflated price for one of the last remaining new units.

Of course, there are much better pocket radios available today.

jr

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-31-2018, 08:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
*Oh man*
This reminds me of the audophile rush for the early Sony Playstation consoles because someone said they had superb audio quality (and all the other fluff) and for a while you couldn't find one of the models with LR RCA jacks for under $200. though I'm pretty sure in that case someone intentionally lied to inflate the price. I see Amazon listings like this from time to time. It's something generic or really not all that impressive but it's sticking out from everyone else selling one int hat it's one to two hundred dollars more. Reminds me of those suppliers that can get you ANYTHING because they stock EVERYTHING but the cost of logistics, the warehouse, the cost to maintain the warehouse, payroll the employees and EVERYTHING ELSE THAT LET THAT ITEM SIT ON A SHELF goes into the cost of holding it on a shelf for five years waiting for someone to say they need THAT exact item.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
Maybe it's the go-to radio for listening while you're at a ball game, or just watching one. But yeah, it's a $10 transistor radio wrapped up in a $130 Amazon Prime cozy.
I had to look up the one I have and it's the same model number. Paid $1.00 at a thrift shop and it even had good Energiser penlite cells.
It is in really nice condition. It looks like it was little used.
Audiokarma