Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:23 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

HEY! CTC-4 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-RCA-Colo...QQcmdZViewItem

over 200 and 3 days to go. This should be interesting
Old 03-09-2007, 02:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

I believe it's a "Seville" model CTC-4.
Nice clean set.

-Steve D.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Steve,

I saw it was in OCEANSIDE and I almost called you to go in on it with me and the other Steve. Then I realized it was OCEANSIDE, NY not CA.

Oh well!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hoffman
Steve,

I saw it was in OCEANSIDE and I almost called you to go in on it with me and the other Steve. Then I realized it was OCEANSIDE, NY not CA.

Oh well!
Steve H.

I did the same damn thing. I had to look twice to realize it wasn't a So. Cal. set. Steve K. has the full door "Gainesborough" model CTC-4 in his collection.

-Steve D.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Bob Galanter

Well it looks like I will be driving to Oceanside Long Island, NY too, after I stop and get the ctc5 in Conway SC.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Audiokarma
Old 03-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Bob Galanter

So here's the story of my CTC4 lifetime crusade

Back when I was 19, in the distant past year of our Lord 1967, (yep i'm 59) I bought a ctc4 Seville from a buddy of mine who had a tv repair shop. He had taken it in trade and sold the guy a new Zenith. I bought the CTC4 for $100. I took it home and over a period of months I recaped the set with sprague orange drops. I did a little tweaking and got a fantastic picture on it. Convergence was not the greatest but after many trys, got it pretty close.

I watched that set for about 4 years. In 1971 when I got married to wife #1, we decided that my ctc4 set was too "old fashioned". We wanted a color set that had a rectangular picture tube, and a remote control. So I bought a used Zenith with Space Command. And I sold my CTC4 to a friend of mine who was married with 3 kids and quite poor. I sold the CTC4 for $25. My friend watched the set for 3 or 4 years and then he sold it to a local collector for $25. I don't know who the local collector was or even if he is still in the Milwaukee area. So if you are a collector who has a CTC4 that was completely repaped with Sprague OrangDrops, it may be my old set. Anyhow, I have GREATLY regretted selling my first CTC4, and have wanted a replacement for a long time now. Today that dream has been fulfilled.

Anyhow, about 5 years ago, I got started collecting and restoring old tv's. I got started when I purchased the Hallicrafter 820 in my avitar. The 820 was on eBay one day and I saw it while browsing. It was the exact model set my parents first owned, and that I first watched when I was only 3. After that I cought the bug real bad. I have a collection of about 12 sets now (not including the 4 I am about to go get). I specialize on B&W roundies. I also have a 1965 Zenith color roundie in addition to the CTC4 and CTC5 I just purchased.

I will also be picking up a little RCA 10 Inch B&W on very tall french provintial legs and a Raytheon Roundie that I bought off an add on Craigslist in Philladelphia from a lady. So my epic journey From Milwakee, to South Carolina, to Philladelphia and New York city and back home will be hauling 4 or possibly 5 old time tv's for my collection. I am thinking that I need to take a breather from aquiring for a while (unless there is something I MUST HAVE) so that I can catch up on many restorations that need to be done.

Hope you enjoyed my reading. I will try and take some photos on my journey and post them to this thread in a week or two when I return with the goods.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 03-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

Congratulations on getting a CTC-4 again after all of these years. I can imagine what a great feeling that is. I have a blond Haviland CTC-4 which is as yet unrestored but is one of my favorite sets. Sounds like you will be adding some great sets to your collection. Thanks for sharing your interesting story. Congratulations!

Gilbert
Old 03-12-2007, 11:36 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

COOL! another SD tv collector. Please post some pics of your sets!
Old 03-13-2007, 12:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

I enjoyed the story...neat to look back to the days when a ctc4 was just a used tv...but was still worth $100. That trip ahead should be quite an adventure!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:59 AM
Still Y2K Compliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdylon
COOL! another SD tv collector. Please post some pics of your sets!
Hi, Yes I'm also in San Diego. Here's some photos of a few of my color sets. Always glad to meet up with other local collectors. Would enjoy chatting with you some more and comparing notes.

The sets are a 21-CT-55, CT-100 & 21-CT-662U "Director", and a 21-CT 660U "Haviland".

Gilbert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21-CT-55.JPG (63.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg CT-100 & Director.JPG (63.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg CTC-4 Havilland.JPG (70.0 KB, 39 views)
Audiokarma
Old 03-14-2007, 11:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Gilbert,

Just want to compliment you on an outstanding collection of RCA's earliest consumer color receivers. Very cool.

-Steve D.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D.
Gilbert,

Just want to compliment you on an outstanding collection of RCA's earliest consumer color receivers. Very cool.

-Steve D.
Thanks Steve, I appreciate that. I am very pleased to have these sets in my collection and be their caretaker. You are another neighbor, I see you are in the LA area. Hopefully I'll get to meet you in person sometime.

Gilbert