Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Ouch, that sucks. I hate that feeling of let down after such expectations.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yup, really thought I had won the TV lotto on this one. But same as the lottery I am still poor.

Gregb
Old 06-28-2015, 01:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry Greg!! :-(
Old 06-29-2015, 03:05 AM
console lover

I don't want to come off as scolding under the circumstances because I too feel your disappointment, but if I had seen that picture earlier I could have told you immediately it was not the color set. It doesn't even have the same number of knobs. As I've posted before, I had a blond console version of the cosmetically identical black & white model--and it really is identical except for the electronics and the side panel. So the TV you bought isn't even that model.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

First up David is I didn't buy anything, condition of the sale was it turns out to be what they say it was. I could only go by what the seller was telling me and turns out there was some kind of confusion. As I don't know every model that was available at the time I thought it was worth looking into. The seller still insists that I don't know what I am talking about and this IS the set they believe it to be and they stand fast that the model number H22T155 is stamped on the back but I did not see it. It was very clear to me on seeing it in person that it was just a black and white set.
The one thing that really annoys me is people trying to sell something for big money and the pictures they provide are taken with some poor quality cell phone camera, they are out of focus, sideways or upside down, and you can't see much of any detail. The picture I posted was the best picture they sent and it was sideways, I turned it upright.

Gregb

Last edited by Gregb; 06-29-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-29-2015, 12:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregb View Post
The seller still insists that I don't know what I am talking about and this IS the set they believe it to be and they stand fast that the model number H22T155 is stamped on the back but I did not see it. It was very clear to me on seeing it in person that it was just a black and white set.
If it was there you could not have missed it!

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...1&d=1253233662

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...2&d=1253233697

Frankly, from what information you had, I would have wanted to take a closer look.

jr
Old 06-29-2015, 01:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

jr:
I am trying to get the seller to allow me another look without the rush that they were in when they arrived. They were late for the wedding and I did not have the time to pull the back cover and have a closer look. Could you supply me a picture of your set with the back cover removed and showing the neck and connector on the CRT?
Thanks

Gregb
Old 06-29-2015, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sure:
Inside set:
http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...4&d=1253233807
Color gun:
http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...6&d=1253233885
Tune layout, Note "Color Television" and 22EP22 indicated:
http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...3&d=1253233744
Corner of rectangular CRT, note LEAD SHIELDING:
http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...5&d=1253233845
Convergence panel on left side of set:
http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...4&d=1253332306

Hope this helps,
jr
Old 06-29-2015, 02:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks jr, at least I will know what to look for. I hate to say it but I am pretty sure this is not the same thing. The neck of the CRT is all I got to see as the cover was off and it was without a doubt a BW tube. Also there is no side panel like yours.

Gregb
Old 06-29-2015, 02:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregb View Post
Thanks jr, at least I will know what to look for. I hate to say it but I am pretty sure this is not the same thing. The neck of the CRT is all I got to see as the cover was off and it was without a doubt a BW tube. Also there is no side panel like yours.

Gregb
Sadly, I agree... if you saw a B/W CRT gun, that pretty much nails it.

jr
Audiokarma
Old 06-29-2015, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks jr

Gregb
Old 06-29-2015, 03:40 PM
Workin' Late Again

I guess I don't understand why the seller couldn't have pointed out the location of the model number while they were there in person. It's also confusing why they went to all the effort to deliver the set, if they were in fact pulling your leg about the model being on the back cover. Almost sounds as if they wanted it to be so badly, that they somehow convinced themselves, without actual proof. Unfortunately a very sad outcome for the both of you.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

The biggest thing is it was two sisters that brought it here and when I told them it was just a plain old B/W set the truly looked surprised. They say they had been told there entire lives this this was one of the first colour TV's in western Canada. We only got TV broadcasts in 54 and I am pretty sure there were no colour broadcasts until 1960. So someone having a colour set at that time around here would have been a really big deal. I have not heard back from them at all so I guess I ticked them off with the bad news and they won't entertain a second look.

Gregb
Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
At least you didn't have it shipped a long distance at great expense after paying for it. It never ceases to amaze me how wrong people can be about vintage TVs. I've seen sets from the 80's described as being from the 50's even though they clearly had the date printed next to the model number.
I would have never paid to have it shipped unless I was 100% sure of what I was getting. I have been down that road before and never again. I have noticed more so in the past few years that sellers will tell you whatever it takes to get the cash out of your pocket, true or not does not matter to them.

Gregb
Audiokarma