Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:57 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Epic Motorola score!

I rolled up to an estate sale today, and I almost fell out when I finally noticed the elephant that was in front of me the whole time. A 1968 Motorola Quasar Works in a Drawer! For FREE! Needless to say, I claimed it right then and there. And get this - it actually fits in my car!

Last edited by TUD1; 03-12-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Good price too!
Old 08-07-2016, 04:16 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I spent about an hour Gojo-ing it up, and now it looks halfway decent. However, the CRT is extremely tired. I let it cook at 7 volts for about 30 minutes, and it never came into the green. I'll get the B&K 470 and see if a Clean and Balance helps. It's a shame too, because it has the original Motorola Premium Grade CRT.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Priced as most sets really should be, you saved them time & money !!
Nice score, a C&B will bring it back for a time........

73 Zeno
Old 08-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Level 1

Oh my, that's a nice one.
Audiokarma
Old 08-07-2016, 05:48 PM
sampson159

am i seeing things?is that red actually instead of a dirty shade of orange?this looks like a really good moto!
Old 08-07-2016, 05:52 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Well shucks. I blew out the inside with a vacuum cleaner, and it worked. I leave, come back with some test equipment, C&B the CRT (it's perfect now) and it won't power up now. AAAAAHHHHH!!

Old 08-07-2016, 06:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Damn, last Friday I threw out a complete set of boards for that set
Old 08-07-2016, 09:16 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I finally got the set fixed. Sort of. The circuit breaker was stuck, so I put some cleaner in it, and the set powered right up. I then proceed to do convergence, and that went very well. After that, I got the converter box and attempted to watch something. That's when it went downhill again. The brightness pot took a complete dump. It is stuck on the lowest setting. No matter which place you slide it, there is no picture.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:25 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Something is definitely going on with this thing. When the set is cool, it has plenty of brightness range, but as it warms up, the picture gets dimmer and dimmer until it fades out completely. At first, I thought it was the brightness pot, but now I'm not so sure. It takes about 7 minutes to completely fade to nothing. Let it sit for 20 minutes, and the brightness comes back.

Audiokarma
Old 08-08-2016, 12:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

My similar set is loaded full of questionable small electrolytic capacitors. I am all for finding the specific problem before changing parts, but with this set I am doing a full recap. I find the cans hold up better than the small board mount ones in 60s solid state stuff.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Something is definitely going on with this thing. When the set is cool, it has plenty of brightness range, but as it warms up, the picture gets dimmer and dimmer until it fades out completely. At first, I thought it was the brightness pot, but now I'm not so sure. It takes about 7 minutes to completely fade to nothing. Let it sit for 20 minutes, and the brightness comes back.
What is happening to the High Voltage as the set is on for a few minutes? Is it fading? At the risk of saying the obvious, you may want to change some of the capacitors, especially electrolytic ones.

Just a thought.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:33 AM
jbattles

need to check if you got high voltage when the picture disappears or what the voltage is. These set still use a rectifier tube. check the rect tube or sub with a known good one. When the picture goes dark need to see if it is in the high voltage section or in the video section. when it goes dark need to pull the service switch see if you a service line, if not then its in high voltage and if you do its in the video section. doing a full recap right now will be just throwing parts in and not troubleshooting. get the set to stay up and running I say it would be a good idea to change caps a board at a time would be the right way to go.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice set, but I learned those are one of the FEW sets of that era where you really DO need to recap the boards. I can't remember the brand, but Motorola used some really crappy caps, IIRC they are brown, and those boards gave us fits in the 80's. It was not the mindset of the era to even service the boards, but to simply exchange for rebuilt. Good luck with the set tho.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to check the hi voltage before and after it fades.